Diabetes friendly pellets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Diabetes friendly pellets

I have been looking for the best diet for my hammies As the Russian Campbells ( which are what mine are) Winter Whites and Chinese hamsters are all diabetes prone so you have to be careful as to what you feed. I found this food no added sugar it is a GREAT food commonly recommended for syrians however its never been brought up that its diabetes friendly

http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/P...nd-Gerbil-Food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM
she-mayor of Whoville

Hey I saw that Oxbow stuff at my exotic vet, and i looked at it, and you are right, no added sugar. I wonder why no one ever mentioned it? Or maybe they have, but it's super hard to find?

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I have No idea even if it's hard to find usually they bring up that it's a good food and it is hard to find and pricey but for someone like you or I it's worth it I am going to order some when I order the rats oxbow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wouldn't feed it alone (I'd definitely be adding some whole insects, eggs, etc.) but it looks like a fine staple. I personally don't feed foods with synthetic vitamin K, though, especially tiny rodents. I don't know if it can be avoided in rodent food, though...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

No you never feed one diet alone this would just be the base and sadly no it cant be avoided.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

Oh I never head of that, artificial vitamin K.. What is the deal with it??

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinypixiexoxo View Post
Oh I never head of that, artificial vitamin K.. What is the deal with it??
I'm pretty busy at the moment so I'll just leave you with a link. I'll pop on later or tomorrow to answer specific questions that you have.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

The link is for dog food but the info still applies.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."