Did I get my hamster too old? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Did I get my hamster too old?

The pet shop worker estimated her age at 3-4 months. Did I get her too old? =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Too old for what?? lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Too old for.. proper bonding. Like, she had no human interaction in the pet store, the worker assured me of that. So.. will she need more extra time to get used to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and if I did, I'm not gonna like, get rid of her or anything. I'll just be more patient.. =3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 PM

It really depends on the hamster herself in my opinion. A few year ago I got 2 older hamsters from 2 different pet stores, neither had been socialized AT ALL. One of them came around really fast and was super sweet and trusted me within a few days, I think because she was happy to have a new home. But the other girl, Tabatha, never really trusted me, she was always afraid and hiding and trying to bite me for a really long time. So it just depends on your girl. Good luck. Is that her in your avatar picture?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Yep. ^-^ Her name is Mikkah. I just finished picking her up and letting her walk around on my hands for the first time. She seems to like facing me better.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
is a little "special"

Its never too late to bond with your hammie!
Ive adopted several hamsters that where over year old, and they where extremely personable little fellas. As long as you are patient twards her, and give her lots of nommies of course (LOL) Im sure shell love you
And if she isnt much of a people-lover, its just her personality, not age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Yay! =D

Thanks. ^-^
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 PM

I adopted two for my first time years ago...
One was very small and blonde, maybe 30 days max.
The other was large and older, about 6 months.

I played with both equally but the little blonde day by day became more and more aggressive! Untill evetually removing food or refilling the water bottle became a problem. He was healthy, just mean. The older one was always calm and would never bite.

Its kinda of risky, but I do it because it works for me....

While the hammy is somewhere hiding, I put a loosely balled fist into the center of the cage. If it doesn't wake them you can make some noise to attract them. If you see your hamster silently charge out of its (very rare unless you put another hamster in the territory or the hamster is extremely aggressive) id would remove your hand. LOL.

But if they come up normally, dont flinch! If you feel scraps of teeth, just remember its ok, they just want to know what you are.
I have a little boy named Alexander who I THOUGHT was a biter.
Until i tried this with him (i was hesitant to) and it ends out all he wants is to gently nibble all day long. XD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Hah, thanks. =D
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
is a little "special"

LOL, I used to have hamsters that would charge your hand like they where about to take your finger off, but would lick you or just sniff instead. Hehe, theyre weird lil things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
age, hamster, pet, syrian