Disgusting Mystery Sludge - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Question Disgusting Mystery Sludge

I just found the most disgusting thing in my dwarf hamster's cage. I had to have Mike take care of it because I was literally going to vomit! I have a CritterTrail cage and it has a tube going up into a little house type thing (they call it a petting station). I had a towel over the cage because its under a lamp and my hammy seems to like to be covered. Anyway, when I was putting Sonora (bunny) back in her pen, I noticed the most disgusting smell. My hamster was climbing the bars of her cage, and I took her out. She smelled really bad too! So I removed the towel and I saw this disgusting sludge type stuff in her little house thing. I opened the lid and almost threw up. Sorry for the visuals but I have never seen anything this disgusting in my life, and it smelled just awful!!!

Mike cleaned it out for me and he almost got sick too. What the heck was that stuff? I had Carefresh bedding in there with some hamster bedding fluff. I think that she pees up there so could it have been pee mixed with the Carefresh? I just don't understand how it got so foul in such a short period of time. I clean her cage weekly. It was so gross! I don't know what to do to prevent this from happening again. I'm thinking about switching to Aspen shavings. Any ideas guys? Sorry to gross you out, I am just so shocked at what I saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I just wanted to add, that my hammy seems totally healthy. No wet tail or anything weird. She is active, eating normally, and doesn't look or act sick at all.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:27 AM

Hmmm was the hamster clean? Check her bottom, as hamsters are propense to wet tail.. Do you have had her for a long time? If it's not wet tail, then it's probably pee... Hamster pee accumulated in tubes smells a lot like ammonia. They seem to like to pee in their tubes.. I've had that experience too.. but I didn't found that it smelled so awful as you described...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Miss New Booty

OH MY!! That sounds like it smelled awful. Are you sure she didn't have loose stools or anything? I know their urine can smell bad but sheesh! I use Carefresh and that's what I use most of the time. It does turn a blackish color when it's wet, but this sounds odd! I found Carefresh worked better than the Aspen shavings, but if it's not working, I would give it a try.

I can't imagine what this is?!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 AM

That just answered my question...

I've always used shaving.. and pee in tubes looked like yellowish shavings covered in a goo-like sustance...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Luckily she seems fine. Like I said, no wet tail or anything. She looks healthy and frisky like she always does. Right now she is going up and down her tube taking food back up to the house. The weird thing was it didn't smell like pee. It didn't have an ammonia smell. But I've never smelled ammonia in her cage. Its like her pee smells different or something lol. I have no idea what it was, but it was disgusting! I don't know how pee could turn into sludge like that. The only thing that I can think of it maybe some hay mixed with it and it got spoiled somehow. What I found looked like a science project!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
What I found looked like a science project!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Eww...hopefully it doesnt happen again.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Tubes always get dirty. Not much you can do - unless you clean them daily. I'm thinking the towel made it warmer - so the smell came out. I personally hate Care Fresh. To me it stinks as soon as it gets wet. I use aspen shavings also for all my fur kids.

I also prefer a big tank for hammys, mice, etc. Easy to clean - and never smells. Some cool hammy furnishings, a good wheel - and you are all set.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas
Tubes always get dirty. Not much you can do - unless you clean them daily. I'm thinking the towel made it warmer - so the smell came out. I personally hate Care Fresh. To me it stinks as soon as it gets wet. I use aspen shavings also for all my fur kids.

I also prefer a big tank for hammys, mice, etc. Easy to clean - and never smells. Some cool hammy furnishings, a good wheel - and you are all set.
Thanks. It wasn't the actual tube though. It was the corner of the house/petting station thing. I think she probably peed in it over and over and something got mixed in and rotted. I'm thinking about trying the Aspen out for her. Thanks for the advice!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 09:57 PM

Yeah, wet hay can smell really bad!

Like you said Stephanie, maybe it was a mixture of things that got so wet that it sludged up. A combo of pee, poo, carefresh and hay??

I know there have been times when I've cleaned the chilla cages that I wanted to !
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Chin Lady
Like you said Stephanie, maybe it was a mixture of things that got so wet that it sludged up. A combo of pee, poo, carefresh and hay??
Yeah I think thats what it was! It was so bad! Now I see that she's using that corner of her house as a toilet, and she sleeps up there too! The Carefresh in the corner of her house looks saturated with pee! So now I'm going to have to clean out that corner every few days. I wonder if switching to Aspen would help?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

if she is going in the same place every day why don't you get a little gerbil litter tray and fill it with a gerbil safe litter? That way it will be easier for you to clean and the litter won't go sludgy so you'll be able to clean it out without vomiting!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:58 AM

I agree with Carmen.

Super Pet makes hammy toilets, believe it or not.

Product Name: Hamster Potty
Item Number: 61342
Size: 5.75"L x 3.5"W x 3.5"H
Color:
Description: The Hamster Potty was developed to take advantage of your small animals natural instinct to go potty in one specific area of their home. The Hamster Potty can be placed anywhere inside of any hamster or gerbil home and it comes complete with free sample of Potty Litter and sifting scoop to help with cleaning the litter. Yes, you really can potty train your small animal pet!
For: Hamsters Mice & Gerbils

Maybe you can use something like that so you don't feel the need to vomit!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:08 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

that would be soooo cute Karen!!!!!! Now if anyone has ideas on how to get a mouse to go in one spot I could use some help!!! It's not natural instinct for my girls...they pee wherever they happen to be at the time which makes them smell bad!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
aspen shavings, carefresh bedding, dwarf hamster, litter box, litter tray, pet store, potty train, wet tail