You not going to get any "no's" in a forum with gerbil lovers
Gerbils make wonderful pets.
They are not 'cuddly' pets (some are, but not most), they rather play and explore, they are always on the move.
Here is my mini list of The reason i love gerbils as pets
- They Don't Smell. Yup no stink, they are desert animals so don't drink as much. You don't need to clean their tanks near as often as other rodents.
- they are active when I am. they are awake during the morning and evening, that would be during the coolest hours in the desert.
- Easliy tamed. They like people and are interested in everything. Like ferrets they want to explore everywhere.
- The can be housed in groups. Nothings cuter then watching a small tank of gerbils grooming each other or fighting over the last sunflower seed.
- They are hearty little guys. Don't usualy fall ill when living in a healthy enviroment
- And of course there are SO many different colours and combinations out there.
Gerbils are however territorial, and you cannot just drop a new buddy in for a playmate, otherwise they can fight to the death (90% of the time). If you have a lone gerbil the best way to get a new buddy for him or her is to get a young pup between 5-8 weeks old and split cgae them. If a pup is not available a Split Cage meathod can work with two adults but NEVER an esstablished clan to a lone gerbil.
Also female gerbisl are more territorial then males, so they should be kept inpairs or a group of 3. While most males can be kept in a bit larger groups usually.
here are some great gerbil information links -
Hope some of that is helpful