does she need a new cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Question does she need a new cage?

my hamsters nose is always cut up and she is always climbing to the top corner of her cage (its about 3 or more ft tall) ans chewing NONSTOP! Ive tried giving her new things to chew on like wooden blocks or a treat that I bought its a cardboard box with seeds and things inside that she has to CHEW on to get threw to but nothing worked....should I try a new cage (oh what she is chewing off the cage is the plastic covering on the bars)? I mean she realy loves her cage with all of the room to run aroung it was oringinally for a sugar glider (by the previous owner) so I completely fixed it up adding ramps that werent as steep and WAY more shelves in it.... also her feet get red alot. I used chicken wire the holes are about 1/4in by 1/4in should I try to cover it all up? I did to most of the cage with plastic sheet (its squares are like 2mm by 2mm)but she is chewing all of THAT off also! she is about a 1 1/2 yr old panda bear hamster so she is about 5in long.

any suggestions on what to do? get a new cage? try new treats?(although ive tried alot) and with the feet I have no idea what should be done so please reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 PM

My uncle swears, the whole purpose of a hamster is to get out of their cage. I thought it was kind of funny, and that is just what she is doing...It's their nature to get out and chew for that matter, and like humans they always want what they cant have...so the toys are a good idea but its not the top of the cage. Maybe you can try lining the top with something softer or more friendly to the hamster so when she attempts to chew her way out she wont cut herself instead she will just keep on chewing. good luck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

well it actually isnt always the top she does it everywhere and once all the plastic on that part is gone she moves on so I don`t think it is a way of escapeing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:05 PM

Buy her a tank. (10G's are like $10)
I kept my hamster in a tank.
No chewing and wrecking things or getting hurt.
It's much easier to clean (and see them), keeps out drafts ect.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

well I want to get her a BIG cage because she loves to run and would a tank be the answer? she loves climbing on ramps. I dont know I I could afford a BIG tank atm I can try to get a pic of the cage in a moment.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:16 PM

I have a 55G tank I picked up used, i traded it for a case of beer. I'm getting a 47G tank for free also. I just posted on local boards in my area I was looking for them.
Some fish stores or other pet stores will sell them to you real cheap if there is a crack or they cannot hold water anymore.
It just takes some aqaruim sealent to fix up the crack.
It's great that she likes the bars and climbs them, but if she is hurting herself with over excesive chewing, id rather have her safe in a smaller sized tank then contiune to get hurt in a large cage. That's my opionion anyways.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

true....is it posible to trian her to stop? I mean I COULD try to get more toys or treats to keep her occupied. but it might not work. and about the cage(getting a new one) im not too sure it would wotk out also I will wait to find more suggestions about it and if nothing works ill get a new cage but If I do get a new cage she will NOT be happy with me
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 PM

Get a 30 gallon Sterilite bin and use that, and end the aggravation.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

whats that?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggygirl65
whats that?
See the plastic "bin" on the right?
It's home to 2 gerbils.

I payed $7 (including taxes) for that one at wall mart. All you have to do is drill holes in it (many) or cut the middle off the top and replace it with mesh.
They work very well, and i know many people who use them, hobbiest & breeders.

Tags
bear hamster, cardboard box, chicken wire, pet store, pet stores, sugar glider