Dwarf Buddy Loved Wheel? Now, nothing! What's up? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dwarf Buddy Loved Wheel? Now, nothing! What's up?

Hey There,

I'm kind of new to hamster owning, but I've caught on fast. Love the little guys. Have a Cambell dwarf male (approx 3.5 months old or so). Great cage set up.. toys, distractions, the works. First month of ownership, 'Hamlet' would be scared of me somewhat, bite my finger, but would go nuts for his wheel—and be practically running it all night long.

Then about 2 weeks ago, we had a bonding breakthrough. I'd put him in a big tupperware type "playpen" and pet and massage him. Now he's very comfortable with my hand, and loves playing in his 'playpen.' But now when I put him back in his cool cage, nothing. He doesn't burrow, doesn't climb really, and especially doesn't use the wheel any more. It's like one day he loved it. Next day, nothing.

Any hamster lovers who obviously know more than I, have a clue to what's going on here? I'd hate for Hamlet to only get activity now when I put him in his playpen.

Thanks,
Beenolas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

What does he do when he's back in his cage? Does he look out at you?

Are you sure he isn't running on the wheel at like 3 am when you are asleep??

My dwarves are used to getting out and playing in a much larger space than their cages.. they often look out at me as if to say "I wanna come out and play", but if they don't get to come out, they usually go to their wheel or go back to sleep.

Early early inthe morning though, the wheels are pretty much smoking they run so much!

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey,

He usually goes right into his Igloo and starts snoozing or at least hiding. But trust me, he's not scared or nervous. Occasionally he will come out and indeed go right to the bars and look at me...but I think he's looking for food, as I don't re-fill his food bowl hyper often until he 'eat his vegetable, too' (i.e. the less sexy part of his mix like the alfalfa pellets.

His cage is in my bedroom, so I can hear him (or at least used to) run at all hours of the night. It really didn't bug me. But now...silence, best I can tell.

Thanks for asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Mouse Obsessor

Maybe he was running on his wheel because he was uncomfortable and now that he trusts you he can relax.
Some of my mice were like that.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Playful Pup

It just sounds like he is settling in. Hamsters are Crepuscular which means they are most active at dusk to dawn, and that is usually when us Humans are asleep or finishing up for the night. Try staying up late one night, and in the dark shine a red light into the cage so you can watch what he is doing wihtout bothering him. You will see how active he really is!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi,

A good suggestion...and one I've done already.

Unless there's some other sensible explanation, I just really think my hamster's experienced the "outside world" and by comparison now thinks his pad is dull. Funny, I didn't think hamsters could think on a level of relativity. And sadly his cage is really cool...a 3-tier Critter Trail! I've tried to put in other little things of interest in it for him to explore (paper tubes, bi-level house where his food is dispensed, stuff tied to a dangling string, etc.). But like I've said, as soon as he started trusting my hand, suddenly his cage is dullsville.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

I think it loved it at first, this thing that moves round and round was so exciting, but now the BIG world was shown too him, he loves that then the wheel now

Tags
not running on wheel