Dwarf hamster biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Dwarf hamster biting

i have got 2 dwarf hamsters, they used to be best friends, but when i got another dwarf hamster, those 2 hamsters started fighting to death the little one bites the bigger one, but they dont fight with the new hamster (my friend helped me to let them not fight) but when i tired what i did to the new hamster it doesnt work on them they still fight...he bites him and there is blood,
Oh yeah and the bigger hamster doesnt do anything he just screams very loud
What should i do??
Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 AM
RAT ADDICT

You will have to separate them.

If they are fighting and drawing blood,the only thing to do is separate. I only have experience with Syrians which are solitary hamsters,but from everything I have heard/read about dwarf hamsters is in many cases they don't get along also.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Playful Pup

Dwarf Hamsters are Pack animals and have Pecking orders. They are meant to live in groups (like lions). You should never introduce a new animal to another animal's established territory. When your two original hamsters where fighting they where establishing a pecking order and they eventually stopped once it was recognized. However bringing in a new competitor changed the entire game and now the two you originally had are fighting for dominance to set a new pecking order due to new arrivals. You must separate them immediately if there is blood involved, as that means it is no longer possible to keep them together since they no longer want to work out an order, they just want to survive being in the same environment together and WILL kill each other if necessary. All three of them need their own cage now. Sometimes thoroughly cleaning the cage and putting the original two back together without the new comer will put things back the way they where. Try that and if they still fight they all need their own cage immediately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

If they aren't from the same litter, or have not been with a littermate for sometime, there is little chance of dwarves getting along. You def. need to consider 3 cages.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ohh yes!! I had that prob and had to split them up, or one would off been killed

Tags
dwarf hamsters