Dwarf Hamster Mixes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Dwarf Hamster Mixes

Does anyone make their own Dwarf Hamster Mixes?

I do, and am looking for some ideas to make my mix a little more fun.
Mines mostly, millet, rolled oats & bran, a few sunflower seeds, alfalfa & hamster pellets, grains, crushed nuts (walnuts, almonds etc.), dried bread crumbles, flax and probably some others I am missing.

I was looking into pellet food, and checked out the Masuri brand but noticed it has cane molasses in it. Is there any other hamster feeds without corn or molasses in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Mine had dried veggies in it too . Like dried carrots, tomatoes, etc.

Oh, and the occasional piece of Innova dog food for protein.

Harry Hamster mix doesn't have molasses but contains corn. However, I still feel it's a pretty decent food especially if any visible corn is picked out. Hagen Hamster food has the same issue...no molasses but it does have corn.

I don't feel corn is horrible...it's definitely not as bad as molasses. A small amount of corn in the diet won't hurt IMO. After all, the pellets won't be the main diet, correct? Just part of the mix.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I read that and thought you meant mixing dwarf BREEDS! I was rather confused by what you meant about making them more fun! LOL!
The food makes much more sense.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

LOL... ya I'm going to start making new dwarf breeds LOL.... i think i'll stick to the food mixing instead.

We have Harry Hamster here, but i found there was alot of sunflower seeds in there. I may pick up a bag one of these days.

Does anyone add extra protein in the form of cat/dog kibble or cookies?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
Does anyone add extra protein in the form of cat/dog kibble or cookies?
Yup, I mentioned it in my post . I feed Innova dog food.

Sometimes I feed dog biscuits...they are great for wearing down teeth.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

lol.... yeah i'm a bit slow :p
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Are dwarf hamsters generally nice? There is a little one at our local petco up for adoption. She only has 3 legs. The vet had to amputate one they said. I guess she got it caught on something. She was absolutely darling and I got to hold her.
They also had a mouse there that was supposed to be a feeder. They realized something was wrong with it and got the vet to check him out. He keeps running in circles. The vet said he either had an ear infection or he was neurologic. I felt so bad because they had him in this small cage. They had so many critters for adoption I guess they ran out of room for tanks. He reminded me of Tabby.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Are dwarf hamsters generally nice?
The one I had wasn't, but he sure was cute. I couldn't even stick my hand in the cage to feed him, he'd attack it. I tried taming him with gloves on, but I never succeded.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Are dwarf hamsters generally nice? There is a little one at our local petco up for adoption. She only has 3 legs. The vet had to amputate one they said. I guess she got it caught on something. She was absolutely darling and I got to hold her.
They also had a mouse there that was supposed to be a feeder. They realized something was wrong with it and got the vet to check him out. He keeps running in circles. The vet said he either had an ear infection or he was neurologic. I felt so bad because they had him in this small cage. They had so many critters for adoption I guess they ran out of room for tanks. He reminded me of Tabby.
My Russian dwarf was one of the sweetest hamsters I've ever had .

Actually, we've had 11 hamsters and none of them were "mean". A couple didn't like being picked up but would tolerate it and enjoyed attention.

I say go for it . Hehe .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 06:41 PM

Sasami - you are a terrible influence! I really would love to get the hammie and the mousie but with the kitties it makes me nervous. I have wanted a little rodent for years. When I lived with my dad he always agreed but said it had to have free roam of the house. We had like 9 cats at the time!
I think if the buns were bonded I would be more tempted. I just know I really have a lot of work ahead of me! I say that and then think of the poor little mousie running in circles!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Sasami - you are a terrible influence! I really would love to get the hammie and the mousie but with the kitties it makes me nervous. I have wanted a little rodent for years. When I lived with my dad he always agreed but said it had to have free roam of the house. We had like 9 cats at the time!
I think if the buns were bonded I would be more tempted. I just know I really have a lot of work ahead of me! I say that and then think of the poor little mousie running in circles!
Hehe, sorry :p.

Small rodents aren't usually too much work. Or at least not for me. They aren't nearly as difficult as the bunnies.

Though I don't know how your cats are. I don't have cats. One of my dogs can't be trusted with small animals so we just keep him out of my room.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I used to be scared of dwarf hammies, then i took in two older males as my first hammy Fosters.
They were hissy little guys, but once i got them out of the cage, they never bit me, and become quite tame.

I now have 1 female and 5 males in foster care with me (the males were found in a dumpster) and they are ALL wonderful.
I have one male (Mr.Deeds) and he will nip and try to attack me, which I find pretty amusing. But he only does this INSIDE his cage, once i pick him up he's great. He is also become less territorial in his cage with me now too.... How to win a mans heart? through his stomach
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 PM

thats a really good idea. LOL! ill try that. putting in all my hammie's favorites.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 PM

well, i buy the store stuff and upgrade it to my liking. i take out the pellets and corn and about half of the sunflower seeds. i replace with bread crumbs and oatmeal and i drip liquid vitamins into it, not a lot and through the entire food thing. my dwarf loves it(i wish he loved me as much, he hates me)

Tags
dog biscuits, dog food, dwarf hammies, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, ear infection, hamster food, rolled oats, sunflower seeds