Dwarf Hamster or Rat? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Let's say that I was ready (financially and parents agreed) to buy a pair of rats. What size cage would I need to sufficiently house two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe View Post
I was telling my mom about some stuff I looked up about rats today. I asked her if I was weird 'cause I want a pet rat. She said that I was just curious about them. She said that they are gross and unclean and disease-carrying. I know that those are untrue (they are as unclean and others mentioned above as hamsters!). She told me that I need to let the rat thing go, 'cause I'm never gonna get one. She's being a total b****.
The disease carrying and unclean thing are just myths.Rats are very clean animals and do not carry disease.Pet rats make very good pets.Maybe if your mom met one,she would change her mind.Take her to a pet store and let her see the rats or contact a rat breeder and see if you can go look at the rats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper427 View Post
I personelly like Dwarf Hammies, the tail thing is just creepy!
Alot of people dislike the tails (I am not one of them!),but once they get past the whole tail thing,they like rats.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

You have some great ideas!
I'm gonna try to get her to go to one of the pet stores around our area. I know at least one of them carries rats. Last Sat. there was a PetSmart in Atlanta that had 2 male blue-and-white Dumbo rats. They were both really cute and were active in the middle of the day. I think they are adorable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe View Post
You have some great ideas!
I'm gonna try to get her to go to one of the pet stores around our area. I know at least one of them carries rats. Last Sat. there was a PetSmart in Atlanta that had 2 male blue-and-white Dumbo rats. They were both really cute and were active in the middle of the day. I think they are adorable.
Now who cannot resist a dumbo?
I adore dumbos.Two of my boys are dumbo! And if they are baby dumbos,they are even cuter...because their ears are really big and they need to "grow into them"!!

Good luck and keep us updated.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I'll do my best to keep you updated.

Yesterday, I was talking to my dad a bit about this and at first he said, "When we get our own house, there won't be any wild animals free-ranging" (I didn't mention letting rats have time out of their cage. Then later he said, "There won't be any strange pets in my house, no rats, no snakes, no spiders. You have a dog and a cat. That's enough pets." I asked him why, and he used his famous response "Because it's my house. When you're 18 you can do whatever you want." (Slight problem with that: most people turn 18 either right before they start college or during their first semester in their freshman year; I won't turn 18 until I'm almost finished with my sophmore year).

Mom was like, "When we get our own house, you can get a hamster." I personally don't think that a hamster is a substitute for a rat. Dwarf hamsters can substitute syrian hamsters, mice MIGHT substitute rats, but hamsters do not substitute rats.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...definatly take them to a pet store then! I agree.Mice and hamsters are good pets,but no substitute for a rat!

* Lisa *

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna try to get Mom to take me to the pet store this weekend before youth orchestra practice, just to see them.

Last edited by Oboe; 02-22-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added a bit
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Playful Pup

if you can't get your parents to agree to rats, i think that mice should definitely be your second option. if you get them from a pet store instead of a breeder they won't be as friendly, but all of my mice are from pet stores and they're all well socialized. only one of them likes to cuddle, but the rest of them will willingly climb onto my hands and whatnot. i love to let them run around on my bed, they get so hyper. in some ways they're the meeting point between hamsters and rats. they're more sociable than hamsters in my experience, but still more of a "look dont touch" pet than rats.

also, a ten gallon aquarium with a tank topper is plenty of space for mice, but i tried my rats in one and it was way too small. which leads to my next point... mice are less expensive. their cages don't need to be as large, they don't eat as much food.

however, you can easily build a really big rat cage for pretty cheap. i recently finished my own (it's about one foot wide, 3 1/2 feet long, and 3 1/2 feet tall, with three solid levels) and i only paid 50 dollars for everything, which may not sound cheap but i could have easily paid twice as much for a cage that size. just google search "c&c cages".
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,mice could be an option.I never even thought of them!

I got my first pair of mice when I was about 11-12.I wanted a guinea pig,but my mom said GP's were too much work and didn't want me to have one.She let me get a pair of mice instead.Mice are wonderful little pets and as mentioned above,not as expensive as rats.

However mice in general are not cuddly.You do get the few that love attention and being with their owners,but for the most part...they are more of a watching pet.I have bred/owned/raised several mice throughout the yrs and have had some that are super friendly.If they get used to you,they will beg to come out and may even jump in your hands themselves.

The females are social and should be in pairs or small groups,but males should be kept alone.Males are VERY territorial and will often fight to the death.In rare cases,male littermates raised together will get along...but often not.

* Lisa *

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mom is getting em so annoyed. She loves dwarf hamsters, but I told her that they are pretty hard to catch and what-not (even more of a look don't touch pet, a bit more bitey (that I've heard), etc.). I told her that if I can't get a rat, then I want gerbils or mice. She might be more inclined to get gerbils, 'cause they look a bit like hamsters.

Can any of y'all with experience with either or both give me opinions on which is better (and why)?
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Talking hammies!!=D

honestly, if i were you i would go with the hammies. they are somewhat easy to care for and fun to own. they are playful and lovable creatures. trust me..i have gne through literally EVERYTHING with my hammies, f you had read my other threads..

good luck with your choice!!

<3
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:33 AM
RAT ADDICT

Between a gerbil and a hammie...hmmm.
I am not sure.I had a gerbil before,but she disliked handling.My syrian hamster now likes it or at least tolerates handling.

* Lisa *

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM

I've never had rats, but I've thought about getting one before and the thing that really turned me off is the space requirements. I don't think a 10-gallon with a cage topper is really big enough, especially for TWO rats. I may get a pair sometime in the future, but not until I live in a bigger place than the small apartment I have now. Dwarf hamsters are fun, I've now got eight (six were surprise babies!) and I like them alot.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrohner View Post
I've never had rats, but I've thought about getting one before and the thing that really turned me off is the space requirements. I don't think a 10-gallon with a cage topper is really big enough, especially for TWO rats. I may get a pair sometime in the future, but not until I live in a bigger place than the small apartment I have now. Dwarf hamsters are fun, I've now got eight (six were surprise babies!) and I like them alot.
Rats do need space,but they are well worth it!

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just think you have to hold out and go rat all the way. The fact is most of the stuff your parents think is true about rats (biters, messy, stinky, etc) is really more true of pets like gerbils and hamsters. Rats groom themselves like cats, can be litter trained, the girls smell like grapes, they never bite when healthy and properly socialized, can learn their name and tricks like a dog or cat, etc, etc. They also just bond and show affection so much more because they are so soo much smarter. All pocket pets are cute, but none of them hold a candle to rats, though mice do come closest. My dwarf hamster bit frequently, but I don't know if they all do. I have 5 adult rats and none of them bite, including the two that have had to get antibiotics twice a day. Just do your research, be persistent, and make your point. Show them that what they think about rats just isn't true, it's all a big myth, like those people who think it's a good idea to have an iguana on a leash because they saw it on tv, alot of our view of animals come from media and are not at all based in fact.

A cage topper should do fine with two rats. How much they cost depends. They're not going to cost you more than $15 to buy, but if you're not careful where you get them they can be very expensive in vet bills if you get them somewhere that doesn't take good care of them. Also before you buy any cages or supplies retail always check the paper, garage sales, ebay, craigslist etc, and look in petstores for slightly damaged floor models (got a perfectly good $120 cage for $50 this way once.) Pet supplies are expensive when you get them retail, but there are a lot of alternative places to find them.

Tags
dwarf hammies, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food dishes, guinea pig, litter train, litter trained, male rat, male rats, pet rats, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, rat cage, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, vanilla rat, wild animal, wild animals, wire cage