Dwarf Hamster Supplies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dwarf Hamster Supplies

Anytime an individual wants to get a new dwarf hamster, it's important to get the perfect Dwarf Hamster Supplies. It takes careful planning to keep one of these little creatures around for a couple years, so you have to provide them with the best care possible. Getting them a place to live is the first thing you should consider. There are many variations out there, but you should probably stick to aquarium tanks or plastic bubble cages. These will give them plenty of room to roam and you won't have to worry about them trying to escape a wire cage. If you purchase more than one you will need to get a cage that has enough room for all of them. One thing you will find is that dwarf hamsters enjoy a comfy sleeping area. This means you should provide them with the proper substrate. The best thing to do is provide them with around 2 inches of substrate on the floor. Eventually they will begin pushing it into piles and shy away from the daytime. During the course of the week, pick a day to clean the cage. You will most likely see droppings, and sometimes you can eliminate this hassle by purchasing a "litter box" at the pet store. Well, it's not really a litter box, but it's similar and they could end up using it. Just make sure you fill it with the proper dwarf hamster supplies because those who don't subject their hamsters to digestive and respiratory issues.

They will always need chew toys as well. This is because their teeth never stop growing and this little toy will allow them to gnaw on it whenever needed so they can file down their teeth. If you don't have one in there and they gnaw on the wrong thing it could end up injuring them and possibly being fatal. Plus, if their teeth grow to be too big they won't be able to close their mouth and will starve to death. The best options are those that are made of soft wood. We recommend checking them daily and make sure another one isn't needed. It's possible that they will soil them every so often.

Then of course you always need to provide your dwarf hamster with a fresh water supply every single day. While bowls are fine, we recommend bottles instead because they can hang from the cage and you won't have to clean the substrate or food out of the bowl every day. If you don't they could get sick. It's easy with a plastic bottle as long as you don't find any leaks or cracks.

Normally during the day is when a dwarf hamster sleeps. It's one of the many reasons they aren't the best pets for children under the age of 12. During this time they will want to make a nest and when you purchase your dwarf hamster supplies, a nesting box may be a perfect choice. Then again, you could purchase a small little house, igloo, or castle to provide them with a dark and secluded area. What it comes down to is the dwarf hamster supplies you need are extremely limited. So there isn't much work in making this happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Zoo Keeper

dont forget 360 sq inches per hamster and if you have multiples you need all the basic supplies for each ham two hamster two wheels water bottles houses ect

Also proper beddings

perhaps make a list of supplies?

and the diabetes prone species

sorry to be picky hamsters are just more work than people think

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Betta Bomb

Very good basic info.. Lacks directives. No specificality (pine and cedar vs. aspen). Also, aren't dwarf hamsters just smaller more social hamsters than syrians?? They need the same things, right??

the thing with water bottles is the quickly growing bacteria that forms after a couple hours of stagnation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

Water bowls i think are safer, due to the fact they can get water out of it.
But very good info!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:20 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

Jigglypuff and I say "horray!"

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

leme try that again:

Jigglypuff and I say "horray!"

also, to keep dwarves clean and and their fur healthy, I recommend a powder bath.. 10 minutes in a dust bath each day keeps my doodilypuff as fluffy as the day I brought her home!

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the Comment.

Tags
hamster, pet, rat