dwarf hamsters..alone or together with others? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

dwarf hamsters..alone or together with others?

so i had a syrian hamster and i know that those need to be housed alone..or they will fight. but i also have heard that Dwarf Hamsters CAN live with other dwarf hamsters. i dont really want two dwarf hamsters..so could i get just one dwarf?? if i decided to get a dwarf..rather than a syrian. i only had my syrian, sandy..for a week.. and then she got wet tail...so just let me know what the differences are between a dwarf and a syrian..cuz i only had a week experience with a syrian. and there isnt much info out there about dwarfs...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:53 PM

There should be alot of info online for Dwarf hamsters..just do a search at Yahoo, for one..for a specific type. I raised Campbell's Russian Dwarves for awhile..and they can definitely be kept in groups, but don't have to be. And when you do want them in groups of pairs, it works better if introduced young sometimes.
I personally prefer Syrians to Dwarves if you want a friendly hamsters..and Chinchillas/Rats/Guinea Pigs to any hamster. Anyway..here's one site that might help:http://www.afrma.org/hamster.htm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 05:29 PM

I also like http://www.petwebsite.com for hamster info (click on the hamster link and you'll get info about syrians and dwarves...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

I heard that if you do not handle a dwarf everyday, then it will become wild, while if you miss a day with a syrian, it will always be tame once it is tamed...I have only had experiance with syrians...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I heard that if you do not handle a dwarf everyday, then it will become wild....
Well, not necessarily, I havent handled my dwarf hamster Roxy for 2 days and she is fine. They might only not become tame if you dont handle them for long periods of time (like about for 2 weeks or so) but some dwarves can be tamer than others.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
I heard that if you do not handle a dwarf everyday, then it will become wild
Not from experience, but from lots of research i found that most people (breeders and such) say that if you do not hold them at least every week they go back to being wild since they haven't been domesticated very long but yes some stay tamer than others. But like any other pet you should put much time and care into them and not to meantion love them lots!!!

~ animalchic24/7 ~
*God created even the smallest of creatures with amazing detail and design*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have never had a dwarf.I currently have a syrian and he is quite sweet!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It has all been said already... More you handle them, the more accustomed they will become to you... My 2 RWWs are out every day, if not more...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Dwarf hamsters are fun to have in groups... but be warned, they begin to fight as they grow older. Ive had lots of problems with my hammies. When things like that occur, make sure the injured hamster is separated from the others until it is healed and when moving it back in, watch to make sure the other hammies dont attack it again.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Part of the Pack

I had two sisters and after about a month (They seemed fine together) one was dead and I had a similar experience as Vanilla rat with her sugar bear I have my dwarf hammies seperate now just for that reason, that and the fact that the two I have now are boy and girl, different ages and probably would kill each other. They both started out in pairs but I found after a month or two one always ended up passing on My Squirt lived almost 4 years and was the sweetest dwarf ever!. I only handled her once or twice a week and she was a doll.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM

I hold my ww every day...

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, syrian hamster, wet tail