Dwarf hamsters fighting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
L_T

Question Dwarf hamsters fighting

I have two winter white dwarf hamsters, Buttercup and Wesley. They're probably about three months old or so. (I got them on Father's Day.) Buttercup had babies about two and a half weeks ago (they were two weeks on Saturday). However, starting on this Sunday, he began to try to mount her. She said no and I figured it was okay even though he tried a few times. But they began fighting, just little quarrels, which generally ended with Wesley on his back and squealing. She hasn't stopped fighting him. Now, his bottom is kinda wierd (it's dark, like it was bruised badily, and a bit hard but it feels more like it is crusty. His poo and everything look fine though.), he doesn't trust her and they are still fighting for no apparant reason. When I took him out of the cage for a few hours and put them back together on the table, everything was fine and she ignored him. But once back in the cage, she let him say hi to her but they are still fighting.

So,1) Any ideas on how to keep them from fighting? I'm worried she's going to hurt him.
And 2) Any ideas on what could be wrong with WEsley/if I should worry that he is hurt?

Thanks,

Abigail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Sorry to say this, but I personally think they should have seperate cages. Of all the types of hamsters, Russian (campbells) are the ones who usually can live together in peace.
Sometimes though, it doesn't work out for whatever reason. That's perfectly normal.
I'd keep a close eye on Wesley and if he's still looking poorly after being on his own, I'd take him to the vet to be sure he's not wounded badly or ill.
Good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
L_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie61 View Post
Sorry to say this, but I personally think they should have seperate cages. Of all the types of hamsters, Russian (campbells) are the ones who usually can live together in peace.
Sometimes though, it doesn't work out for whatever reason. That's perfectly normal.
I'd keep a close eye on Wesley and if he's still looking poorly after being on his own, I'd take him to the vet to be sure he's not wounded badly or ill.
Good luck
But why would this happen now when they have been perfectly behaving up to now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T View Post
But why would this happen now when they have been perfectly behaving up to now?
They are probably fighting now because they are getting used to their enviroment and both want the territory (or the cage isn't big enough), they are getting older, or because of the pregnancy. What kind of cage is it? I would personally seperate them (since you don't want a million babies anyways, I hope).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

According to the breeder of my 2 male RWW brothers, critical time is at about 4 months, when they become fully mature and try to assert their dominance. So, I guess the time has come for your pair. Frankly, I would separate them. Not only for sake of territory but also the increasing extended family you will have. More babies every month.. regarding the bite marks, they should heal by themselves, if left alone and kept clean and dry. Have a look at FAQs and other posts on the topic here. For more, you may visit:
A-Z Guide on Common Hamster Ailments and Illnesses - Hamster Hideout Forum

Last edited by karlh; 08-16-2007 at 02:31 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 PM

how big is the cage?
two wheels?
two bowls or a really big one?
at least two huts?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 05:22 PM

me too...

i also have two hammies and i have written a few threads about them and their fights...it is very depressing...

<33
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

if one is male and one female shouldn't you have them in seperate cages?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, seperate cages