Dying baby gerbils - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Dying baby gerbils

Is it normal for gerbils to die once they get to about 2-3 weeks old? I've lost two recently and another one is looking in ill health. He's looking a little better since I gave him some milk-soaked bread but his eyes are closed and he's stumbling around a lot looking fairly unwell.

Is there anything I should be doing but might not be and is there anything else I can do to maybe save this one? The others seem to be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing in this one at least that it's a respiratory infection.

And he's just died of it while I was typing. :'(

What could be causing respiratory infection in my gerbils? I use standard wood shavings from a pet shop. Is this common when they're three weeks old?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:07 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. 8(
Respiratory infections are very common in baby gerbils, and yes, the bedding often has a lot to do with it. First of all, when you say "standard wood shavings" what wood is it? If it's pine or cedar, these woods are very very harmful for ANY pet rodent. You should never use these 2 woods, because they have some compounds called phenols, which are the ones that give the wood their pleasant smell, and these phenols are the same that cause health problems (usually respiratory problems) in animals. As far as I know, the only wood shaving that's ok for rodents is aspen. Aspen is what I usually use (mixed with toilet paper, chewed cardboard, and hay... sometimes a bit of corncob, but not always). I had some RI in my first litters and lost a couple of gerbils to it, but in the last 4-5 litters born here I've had no RI.
Here is a list of safe litters and beddings, compiled by The Rat Fan Club, but they apply to other small rodents as well. 8)
http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Petshops won't sell wood shavings for gerbils and other rodents if it wasn't safe for them, surely?

Although having checked that website, apparently that isn't a safe assumption...

That can't be right, surely? O.o
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortuus47
Petshops won't sell wood shavings for gerbils and other rodents if it wasn't safe for them, surely?
That's a wrong assumption. A pet shop is a bussiness. The main goal of a bussiness is to make money. Pine and Cedar shavings are VERY cheap, so they make a lot of money selling them. I did my practice at a dairy goat farm last summer and they used pine shavings in the maternity stalls. He bought a pack that would have lasted me several months with the 10+ cages I have for about $2.00 (US) at the feed store... These 2 seem good beddings cause they control smell VERY well (better than any others) and absorb. People like them, and you would never think that they are harmfull. Heck, I'm pretty sure that even the petstores don't know that they are harmfull!
Petstores usually don't know what's good or bad for the animals they sell, their goal is to make money, and don't care much for the animals really...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've never had a problem with the wood shavings you get here in the UK and been keeping rodents for last 19 or 20 years since i was a little girl I know kiln dried pine is one of the few safe woods you can use around degus but every animal is different so i'm probably not being very helpful I have noted though pet manufacturers if you buy those bulk compact bags normally state its pine or cedar free but i'm not 100% sure exactly what woods go into them but i know its right to assume pet shops would sell you anything for a quick sale and don't always know best!? I know you can get carefresh bedding over here now so if your worried might be worth getting hold of some of that

I'm sorry for your loss though

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:18 PM

I am so sorry for your losses.. I dont know anything about gerbils, but keep me informed..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:33 PM

So sorry to hear your bad news. :-(
The pet store I got my current sweeties from is a good pet store because they are all animal savy and make sure all the in store pets get attention every day, but most pet store employees know about as much about pets as walmart employees know about nutrition. It's sad. And you can't even rely on the books they sell.

Last edited by Shiremaya; 05-06-2005 at 02:37 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Apparently it was just an issue of the bedding I use being too dusty.

It's a bit gutting, losing pets to dust, but there you go.

However, good news, the remaining ones look as if they're going to be fine and some are really growing up nicely.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Can anywone respond and try and help me with my problem for my Gerbils?
Question: Today it was a normal day i woke up did my things and then it seems like my oldest Gerbil that is about 3-4 years old is looking very tierd and lets herself go when picked up =(. Im trying to wonder because my moms friend fead her this leaf that is poisounus by accident. Could that be a cause of the effects. Yes my Gerbil is breathing properly.. but its looks half dead.. can anywone help me or tell me what is going on with my Gerbil... thank you for reading this meesage =)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

this is a very old thread, you should start a new thread. It sounds like it could be dehydrated, you could try a little pediolyte it is made for human kids. it should give some energy

I would get it to the vet if possible.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Don't use woodchips for bedding because they are really bad for their respiratory system. Use recycled paper or fluffy bedding. I'm so sorry for your gerbils.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllaxs View Post
Can anywone respond and try and help me with my problem for my Gerbils?
Question: Today it was a normal day i woke up did my things and then it seems like my oldest Gerbil that is about 3-4 years old is looking very tierd and lets herself go when picked up =(. Im trying to wonder because my moms friend fead her this leaf that is poisounus by accident. Could that be a cause of the effects. Yes my Gerbil is breathing properly.. but its looks half dead.. can anywone help me or tell me what is going on with my Gerbil... thank you for reading this meesage =)
Umm. Why not make A new thread?
Anyway, 3-4 years is the common life-span of a gerbil anyhow. && It was also most likely the leaf. Is she OK now?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~

Tags
carefresh bedding, dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pine shavings, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, wood shavings