Emergency Hamster & Gerbil Lovers Look Here! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Emergency Hamster & Gerbil Lovers Look Here!

Okay So Heres What Happened... Im A Gerbil Breeder Currently I Have One Mommmy Who Just Had A Litter Of 8 Babies...
Now My Sister Just Bought A Hamster Who Just Had babies... She Wont Feed The Babies And Has Already Eaten One When We Used A Spoon To Move One Of Them Towards Her...Now She Has 1 Orphan. My Question is If I Do it Very Carefully Do You Think My Mother Gerbil Will Foster It? We Both Dont Want To See it Die And Loki My Gerbil Is A Very Good Mother...Do You Think it Will Work Of I Rub The Baby With The Same Bedding The Other Babies Are Constanly Covered In?
Any Ideas...If Not Then The Baby Will Die...It Needs to Eat Every Two Hours And Both Me And My Sister Have School.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
the rodent lover<3

I don't reccomend it. I don't suggest it, that is SO risky. I'm sorry to say I can't give you any more advice.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

if it's going to die anyway...it might be worth a try...worst thing is the gerbil might reject it and you're are in no different a situation. good luck and let us know what happens.....have you checked youtube for any similar situations??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

You could try it.

I have heard of people putting orphan animals in with a surrogate mother (often of a different species) and it working out well.Since gerbils and hamsters are in the rodent family,it is definatly worth a try.

Or you can just let nature take it's course,because the gerbil may just reject it anyway.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

well for right now she decided to start feeding them...one of them still isnt eating alot tho and isnt looking to be doing very well...if things dont get better with that little one then i will try. and yes ive looked things up online everywhere including youtube...nobody has any feedback for me and most say it just cant be done...but quite honestly Loki is a GREAT mom...but Ollie On the Other Hand Im Not So Sure He Will Accept A Baby That Clearly Isnt His...The Other Problem Is The Fact That The Baby Is Much Smaller Than The Gebril Babies And Will Therefor Be Weened to Early...I Dont Know I Will Let THings Be For Now And Get Back TO You Guys!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

well i begining to worry...she kicked one pup out today and killed one yesterday....i think its a good idea to take the pups away ianother one dies...hopefully loki is feeling like a good mommy!

Wakwe-Wolfe
Quote:
RIP Ivory Gerb.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:32 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sometimes first time mothers do not want to look after their babies,or they may feel threatened.Especially if you constantly pick at the nest,this can stress out a nursing mother.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:19 AM

I don't recommend this at all. You're best bet is hand rearing. I have had to do it in the past.

You buy kitten replacement formula (mixed with water) and feed it every 2 hours but make sure you have a heat mat to keep the pup warm. You will also need to wash the genitals with a slightly damp but warm cloth to help the pup defacate.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Newborn Pup

I have to agree that hand rearing may be your best bet, regardless of how good a mum your gerbil is. You may just be removing the pups from one risk to another. I'm not saying it isnt doable but I'm sure that everyone would agree that the health and safety of the hamster pups is important. Also hand rearing them will make them extreme docile and less likely to nip and bite. Good luck with them
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would ask the pet shop or vets personaly!

Tags
hamster baby fostered?