Feeding gerbils crickets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Feeding gerbils crickets

Ok, so i've heard that gerbils love crickets and that to watch them chase around after them is quite funny lol.

I would be ok with feeding my gerbils crickets but i don't know how many i should ... i don't want to upset their tummies.

Has anyone else attempted this, or can anyone give me any advice?

PS You've probably already had this thread before but i couldn't see it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I am allergic to maths

They are safe as an occosional treat, I would say two each Max. You might also want to try meal worms, some gerbils go crazy for them! Some will ignore either but its worth a shot
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

I used to give my gerbil a cricket or two or a mealyworm every couple of weeks.She loved it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Newborn Pup

crickets are very healthy.. all though mealwormes for them is like mcdonalds for us.

Brianna Beach
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Haha they're very own happy meals
Cool thanks for that, i think i'll try 2 each every couple of weeks to start with
When Minnie was a baby the pet shop had to feed her up on meal worms because she was so little so i may try meal worms at some point but i'll start with crickets.
What kind of things do crickets eat so i can prolong their lives? oooh i could put them in the pet pals that i have so they have lots of room *gets excited* lol.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

Crickets do not have a long lifespan anyway.But to keep them alive,they will eat fruits,veggies,bread and even fish food.Give them water too.But put it in the cap of a pop bottle or some other little dish like that and put cotton in it,so the crickets can't drown.

Also do not overcrowd the tank or thing you keep them in,because they will cannibalize eachother.
Are you planning on keeping a few like that? If you are just going to be giving them to your gerbils every couple weeks,it may just be easier to get a couple when you need them.Crickets smell bad too and I wouldn't wanna keep them longer then I had to...I used to keep them and well they stink.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I am allergic to maths

If you can find a place that sells them individualy that would be great, you just buy as many as you want but I know most places sell them in boxes of 10-20. To keep them alive they mostly eat lettuce (with calcium drops if you can), fish food flakes and water
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello Earthling

Crickets smelly BAD and they can eat through almost everything so be care what you keep them in.

Gut load them with things like carrots, fish food etc... You could even give them some gerbil food.

Make sure you remove any dead crickets from the enclosure you are keeping them in, or else the dead ones will cause the other ones to die.

When you go to the store to buy the crickets they will usually put them in the container for you. Saves plastic and cricket escapes.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hmm ok thats something to think about then. Yeah i've never seen them sold in fewer numbers than 10 tbh, i'll get one box and see how it goes, i dont want them to stink my room out though :s lol.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Newborn Pup

you can keep crickets in a glass container with a screen cover so they have air. put a piece of egg carton in with them so they're not walking all over eachother. putting a sliced potatoe in the container would be great for them. and they do start to smell so keep the containor free from dead crickets. you can also buy a product from some pet stores that keeps the cricket incloser smelling fresh. it's in a jell form. i totally for get what it's called. but people at the pet store should know what you're talking about when you describe it.

when you start feeding mealwormes, keep them in the fridge apose to some place warm. when they're cold, they last longer. have them in a small container in oatmeal.

Brianna Beach
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 AM

My hamsters adore crickets- they usually get two each once a week I work at a pet store though, so I can bring them straight home.

If you're really wanting to "keep" crickets, it would be worth it to invest in a Critter Keeper, which are designed for crickets. They usually cost about $10. A piece of egg crate from your pet store will keep them from stepping on one another. Crickets can "eat" potatoes or carrots (what they're shipped with), or you can get a specially formulated cricket food/water suppliment. You'll see a variety of kinds at your pet store; a sandy powder, clear cubes, yellow cubes, and also orange cubes. The orange ones are more expensive, but they act as both food and water. If not, the powder is their food and the other colors are for water. The orange ones come in a small container that runs about $5.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cool, i take it a critter keeper is like a small plastic container with a lid on it? Because the pet pals i have are like that.
It's probably not worth "keeping crickets" tbh so i think i'll just buy one lot of them and see what thats like. Thanks for the advice though, i'm glad i asked about it first on here
It's interesting to hear all the different things you can get for animals. All those food supplements just for crickets, it's cool lol.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Please remember that crickets can bite, so don't leave them in with your gerbils for long.
Some gerbils will have some difficulty in catching them too, so some people rip the 'hopping' legs off to make it easier on the gerbil. I feed my pregnant and lactating females live mealworms and my males get some occassionally. They are very fattening so give in moderation
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'll bear that in mind, thank you

Tags
live foods