fighting sisters! help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

fighting sisters! help!

I bought these 2 pearl winter white hamster which are sisters and are around 3 months old. They were living happily and always sleep together for like 1 and half month already. However, yesterday when I cleaned their cage and place them back. suddenly they started fighting. Lets name them A and B. A is slightly smaller and she doesn't eat alot and likes to bite the cage. B is bigger and fatter and very tamed.

So A started to bite B and chasing her around. I tried to separate them and A bit me. They were fighting the whole night. The next morning which is today, A didn't attack B anymore instead when they get near B will start squeking again and use her paws to "wack" A.

Just now, I saw A chasing B again and started biting (i assume) and B was so helpless and kept running.

Are they play fighting or what? This has never happened before...

By the way my hamsters are weird... they don't run the wheeler... why is this?

Any kind souls can help answer my questions!

Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sounds like fighting for dominance. Leave them be unless they draw blood from each other.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

There is dry blood on B stomach. what should i do? For now i have separated them.

By the way, will hamsters die from falls? B was so scared that it ran out from my catch and fell to the ground about 1 meter high...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Although dwarf hamsters are often considered "social", they do just fine alone and sometimes certain pairs don't work out. If you want to try again, start by keeping them in cages next to each other and mix the bedding between cages. After a week or so of that, introduce them in neutral territory (like a bath tub). If they don't fight, keep having "meetings" and make them longer and longer. Then you can introduce them together back into the cage (clean it out really well first).

If they fight again after all that, I'd keep them separate permanently.

What kind of cage do you have? Are there multiple food bowls and hiding spots?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hamsters *can* die from falls if it's bad enough. For the most part they're bumbles and they bounce, but depending on the fall and if they hit something along the way, they can die from injuries.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

is something like this picture

w w w .alibaba.com/product-gs/359004728/Hamster_Cage/showimage.html

but a bigger version. Is it too small for them? i bought another small house and a see saw for them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That seems a little small for two hamsters. The multiple levels are nice but it's not very long (length tends to be more important when it comes to hamster cages). I'm a big fan of bin cages--cheaper than store cages, easier to clean, and spacious . Google (or search on here) for "hamster bin cage" or something like that to see if you get any ideas.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i just changed my change my cage to this
w w w.olx.com.sg/blue-penn-plax-knight-castle-middle-level-of-3-storey-hamster-cage-iid-12612784

when i bring them together head to head.. B will start squeking.. and when i put them both together into the cage A will start chasing B... so for now i have separated them... don't dare to put tubes to connect them lol... so what can i do to make sure they live in peace in this 3 storey cage?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhelp View Post
i just changed my change my cage to this
w w w.olx.com.sg/blue-penn-plax-knight-castle-middle-level-of-3-storey-hamster-cage-iid-12612784

when i bring them together head to head.. B will start squeking.. and when i put them both together into the cage A will start chasing B... so for now i have separated them... don't dare to put tubes to connect them lol... so what can i do to make sure they live in peace in this 3 storey cage?
That cage has the same problem as the other one, it's tall but doesn't provide much running room. Hamsters need longer cages (I bet some mice would be happy in there, though!).

It's possible that after doing the introduction method I posted, they'll be able to get along again. But the cage is definitely not helping.

If they keep fighting and drawing blood (some "arguing" is fine and can be normal), you may have to separate them permanently so no one gets seriously hurt . Some hamsters just don't get along, just like people.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

if i were to separate them. will one storey for 1 hamster be enough?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
if i were to separate them. will one storey for 1 hamster be enough?
Depends on what you mean by that. How much space would they have? They don't need multiple levels but you'd have to make up for it with more space in general.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i mean like the previous multi storey cage i shown you. currently each of them is occupying only 1 storey. the middle one is not occupied.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
i mean like the previous multi storey cage i shown you. currently each of them is occupying only 1 storey. the middle one is not occupied.
That would be too small, I'm afraid. They're pretty active animals.

Did you look into bin cages at all? They're seriously so much cheaper to make. Either that or look for free/cheap glass aquariums on craigslist, freecyle, at garage sales, etc. A 10-gallon would be the minimum size for one dwarf hamster.

~Stephanie

Tags
fight, hamster