Genetic Differences (Pictures) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Genetic Differences (Pictures)

So, I finally got around to taking these pictures! LOL... the story... I have 2 golden agouti gerbils, mother and daughter. living together. I can tell them apart cause, even though they are both golden agouti, their color is clearly different. Why the difference? Mother, Deb, is AaCCD*E*Pp, while daughter, Dori, is AaCc(h)D*E*Pp. c(h) is a lightening gene, causes lightening of the fur in some colors, like dove and argente cream. Also, when paired with c(b) (the hymalayan gene) usually causes light colorpoints. I've never seen documented the change caused in a golden agouti gerbil, and obviosly is not a change as big as you can note between a lilac and a dove gerbil (lilac being CC, dove being Cc(h)) but still there's a difference, and here it is shown

This is Deb:

This is Dori:

And here are both of them together:

Deb to the left, Dori to the right:

Deb's face, Dori's butt:

Deb to the left, Dori to the right:

Isn't it cool how the genes work together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:56 PM

Awsome shots!
Sure shows the difference off so well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:58 AM

lol very confusing.
Very cute gerbils though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Gerbils are cute, I might think about getting a few. But then again, I want 2 of everything.

*Missy*
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 08:18 PM

I have the white, and grey gerbils right now I am thinking about getting a different colour male and breeding the white female, but she is over a year now and she has had 3 litters so far I don't think I should do this with her,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 05:07 PM

I noticed the difference between them , Deb is more golden than Dori. The pictures were really cute. But I bet from a distance or looking at them apart it gets hard telling them apart.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! 8) Deb is Dori's mother... and actually, I do tell them apart by the color.... and also Dori is slighly smaller than Deb, but that's less noticeable... I usually tell them more apart by the color than anything else... Deb is, as you say, more golden, while Dori is more grey. That single gene actually causes a big difference... it's even the one that distinguishes Argente Golden from Argente Cream and Lilac from Dove. (examples of those colors on the links) 8) Golden agouti is supposedly unnafected... but, as you can see, it's not.... just that the color doesn't has a name of it's own... and the desired agouti color is like Deb.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:57 PM

So my white gerbil is called a dove and the greys are lilac? didn't know that
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

No, dove is light grey with ruby eyes, lilac is dark grey with ruby eyes... white would be either a pink eyed white, ruby eyed white or black eyed white. There are other color that look very light, but are not white... like the Ivory Cream... but they have a tinge of cream...

If you wanna figure out your babies' colors, you could check out this site... I really like it...
http://www.agsgerbils.org/Color_Strip/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:08 AM

Thank Ypu Padfoot, I have lilacs the grey ones with cream rings around the eyes. and spotted dove. They look white after a bath but they have a tinge of grey tone to them some of my greys have a white strip down the chest. the first two I got are about a year old now, the lilac hasn't changed color like the Dove one did, she has grey on her now where she didn't before. as for red eyes I don't know they look dark to me.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

spotted gene tends to lighten the coat even more, but if you can tell that they have spots, then they are definetely not white. The ruby eyes, which is what lilacs and dove have, are dark red, sometimes even looks black.... but it's red... lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:03 PM

I didn't see nibbles when she was born I bought her, she is the one I am having identifying. Deffinitely my greys as I call them are lilacs because of the crean circle around their eyes which I think is very pretty. Now of course I have seen the white ones as infants they looked like they would be grey but they are white or light grey almost white looking. I got Nibbles out in the light so I could see her eyes they are red but dark red. looking at the pictures one more time I have lilacs and the spotted dove gerbils The spotted dove babies looks like my infant ones did when they first got the fuzz that is what I am going by

Tags
golden agouti, pink eyed white, red eyes, ruby eyed white