Gerbil away from tank mates for hours - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Gerbil away from tank mates for hours

I had a gerbil that's in a tank with 2 other females escape on me, I'm guessing late last night. She had been running around free for 12 to 16 hours or so.
I have found her, and before putting her back in the tank, I placed all three gerbils on my lap to smell one another and see how things go.
It went well, but as soon as I placed them into the tank, the dominant female started attacking her!
I have since put a cage inside their tank, and placed the lost gerbil (Alero)into it. Alero is squeeking, and wanting to be with her family, but the others keep attacking her through the bars.

What else can i do?
Will they ever be happy together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 02:56 AM

wow I'm sorry for that. I tried to put my baby gerbil with his father after a week from being away from each other but it didn't work out, so I put him back with his mother and sister for right now. If there was 3 other gerbils you could have done an introduction with Aleera but if you did that now one would be left alone Where did you finally find Aleera
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 AM

I am very surprised they appear to have declanned in that short a time.

When they start to fight I usually separate permanently.

Maybe someone else has better advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:35 PM

I heard never keep them apart more than 24 hours or they became strangers, but my sources on that came from a website, so that may or may not be accurate.

When I lived with my ex I know he on purpose left the lid of the tank, and I have no idea how long they were missing and running about that room because I was working 2 jobs and was tired one day and didn't get to check in on them (i know that is bad, but alot was going on back then, mentally for me and being tired). Anyhow they got along for awhile, then one day I discoved that the mother had been killed, and then one of the sisters died. But after that they all got along.

I would probably keep the lone one by itself for now, and then introduce it to another gerbil in time. And you may want to put her in another cage or tank on her own. I have just heard that it isn't possible getting a trio together, unless they are very young.

Actually it did work out in one case for me. I had a male, who I thought was a female, and he lived with his sisters and mother for many months, then I found out he was a boy and took him out of there. And he went to go live with his Uncle and cousin, I forget how long it took to introduce them, but it did work out. But then again they were males, females are more tempermental.

But let us know what you decide to do, and I hope it all works out for the best.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I seem to have a knack at female intros, it's male intros I have no luck with.
Whizz & i found Alero in my unfinished basement in the piles of storage boxes we have. I wouldn't have been able to find her without the dog's keen nose.

I have a friend who did a split cage intro with a pair of adult females and a lone younger female, it did take some time, but they still live together happliy.
I will not clean out the tank since it has the smell of all three in it, and will continue with the split cage. Mercedes isn't really attacking Alero like Lexus is, and she also didn't attack her when i placed them in the tank the first time. So i think she may be able to help me with this split cage, gain the trust of one gerbil at a time
I will give them time, and hope things work out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 PM

Best of luck with your reintros!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:13 PM

I hope it all goes well for you now that you have alero back I am sorry I got her name wrong before I have read that males are easier to introduce, I am glad you have success with the females .
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

it's true for most males ARE easier to introduce.... I just have very strange gerbils LOL :p
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info about introducing trios. I always thought it was lousy when I read places that you could only introduce 2. It is good to know that it is possible to introduce 3. Cause people like us like to have a few gerbils in a tank, it is just cutier that way .

Good luck w/introducing them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep you updated if it works.
I've heard of it working, but heard of it not working more then working for other people.
I'm going to guess it may take a month or more I hope not though. So far no 'real' progress
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Well everything has worked out
After the split caging and swapping, I also intro'ed her to Mercedes a couple of times without Lexus, and then today let them have the run in the livingroom together. They did very well, so I placed them back into the tank without the divider, and mixed up all the bedding.
Everyone is happy, they've been napping all together and grooming one another.
I'm so happy this is working out
Thanks for the help everyone!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:54 AM

I'm glad everything worked out!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:27 PM

thats great gives me hope I can do it too, with my father and brother being introduced back with the other brother that I thought was a girl
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:35 PM

I'm so glad it all worked out. I had to split two of my gerbils once because they fought (don't know why) and I felt so sad But they seemed happy enough on their own. I just couldn't risk putting them back together and maybe losing them both. It is good to hear that sometimes these stories can have happy endings
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Becs, I've had the same thing happen. I have a female who will always be on her own, she just dosn't like gerbils, though she lived with her old cagemate for months happily. Once she matured and hormones kicked in she went nutty. I still love her though, she's a great gerbil to people

Tags
split cage