Gerbil breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Gerbil breeding

hey i was wondering how many times should a gerbil be bred in its life time because my gerbil cornflakes one of her first litter has died, she only had two males, and the other one is dieing. and she joked about me breeding corn again which brought up the idea of breeding again.

she wont take him to a vet becuase she says its greaving and im sure the vet would help it but she wont take it, but i hope it survives.

anyway i just want to know how many time should a gerbil be bred, corn has been bred twice and i heard that they can be bred 3 times per month, but then i hear only 3 times in their life time so i really dont know, and i wanted a expirience gerbil breeder to answer my question or some one who just has a bit more knowlage, im 14 and i know quite a lot about gerbils but i guess im still learning more about them.

sorry for the longish post, i kinda go on for a bit because i want all the detail in so i dont have to repete myself again and again

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

dude, don't do it. Obviously there's something wrong if her babies are dying. Thats just going to get passed on to her babies, if they do survive.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I am allergic to maths

If you are going to breed you need to be responsible and be serious. Breeding is not just something you can just 'do'. It takes work! You need to know the background of both gerbils and you should NEVER breed pet shop gerbils. Why do you want to breed your pet? Why do you want to breed at all? What do you want out of it? Cute babies? Money? You shouldnt breed for money, its just selfish. If you have to ask questions then you are not experienced or knowledgable enough to breed, you should do research first. Does 3 times a month sound sensible to you? A gerbil should only be bred 2-4. This is all my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

sorry i did a double post, if a mod comes on could they delete this post?

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AnimalMad; 02-18-2010 at 07:04 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

2-4 times, in their life time?? but thats all i wanted to know thanks!.
becrac16 her first litter if perfectly healthy she only gave birth to two which is normal for a first littler, they where mature gerbils, but when a relitive brough over a couple of tubes from a factory she didnt think twice and just gave them to the gerbils, she only now thinks that they could of had chemicals on them, one of the gerbils is still alive and i do hope it survives.

her second litter,she had 5, is also healthy and they would all be mature now, there is no illnesses being passed down if there was i wouldnt breed thats just plain stupid, i make sure they all good to good homes and the people do know how to look after gerbils if they dont, i dont give them away to them.and people come to me and ask or gerbils.

im not one of those people that breed for plain "fun" i dont want to stress my gerbil out, and i want to make it a hoby thats why im asking how many time should a gerbil be bred because google itsnt much help when you get loads of different answers thats why i wanted a expirience gerbil breeder becuase they know and if i dont ask questions from gerbil breeders how will learn more? its the best way to get more knowledge about breeding. and i do know what i am doing and what to do if the mother wont suckle the babies ect.

and all my gerbils do come from one pet store(i make sure that the gerbils ar not related to one other, i buy the gerbil about a year apart, and thats where i will buy the only animals in black burn from because they are a very good pet shop all the staff know about all the animals they are selling and know how to look after them properly, and if the animal did get sick they pay for the vet bills, all the animals their are pefectly healthy and they breed their own gerbils when needed or get them of gerbil breeders. so please dont go shouting the shop is very relible.

hope i answered all the questions there

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Last edited by AnimalMad; 02-18-2010 at 07:07 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Maybe you should wait until you can drive to start being in charge of breeding, especially as a hobby.

The thing about genetic diseases (as many people have posted on here before) is that you don't know if your pet can have them. The gene may be recessive until they are bred with another animal that has that same gene, and then it is a gambling game. You say that her healthy litters "should be mature by now" which also says to me that you have not kept in contact with the people you have given babies to to actually know what kinds of problems that those babies may have had during their adult lives.

Plus, if you say this pet shop has a great breeding program, you should just leave it up to them. I almost would put money on that you are not going to get much support here for breeding animals when you don't know their genetic background.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalMad View Post
2-4 times, in their life time?? but thats all i wanted to know thanks!.
becrac16 her first litter if perfectly healthy she only gave birth to two which is normal for a first littler, they where mature gerbils, but when a relitive brough over a couple of tubes from a factory she didnt think twice and just gave them to the gerbils, she only now thinks that they could of had chemicals on them, one of the gerbils is still alive and i do hope it survives.

her second litter,she had 5, is also healthy and they would all be mature now, there is no illnesses being passed down if there was i wouldnt breed thats just plain stupid, i make sure they all good to good homes and the people do know how to look after gerbils if they dont, i dont give them away to them.and people come to me and ask or gerbils.

im not one of those people that breed for plain "fun" i dont want to stress my gerbil out, and i want to make it a hoby thats why im asking how many time should a gerbil be bred because google itsnt much help when you get loads of different answers thats why i wanted a expirience gerbil breeder becuase they know and if i dont ask questions from gerbil breeders how will learn more? its the best way to get more knowledge about breeding. and i do know what i am doing and what to do if the mother wont suckle the babies ect.

and all my gerbils do come from one pet store(i make sure that the gerbils ar not related to one other, i buy the gerbil about a year apart, and thats where i will buy the only animals in black burn from because they are a very good pet shop all the staff know about all the animals they are selling and know how to look after them properly, and if the animal did get sick they pay for the vet bills, all the animals their are pefectly healthy and they breed their own gerbils when needed or get them of gerbil breeders. so please dont go shouting the shop is very relible.

hope i answered all the questions there
I have to agree with others. If you don't know the genetic backgrounds of the gerbils you are breeding, you could cause all sorts of health problems.
Also, 2 pups is not a healthy/normal litter size even in first time mothers. I have never had a first time mother have any less than 4-5 pups in their first litters. In fact, i just had a first time mother give birth to 7
It also doesn't matter what the pet shop tells you, most pet stores get their rodents from rodent farms, they are mass bred and often inbred just to get a profit.
A female should not be allowed to have more than 2 litters back to back and they should have a good 4-5 month break before you start breeding them again.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

they are not dying because of genetic illnesses, its because they where given tubes with chemicals on them! and when she gave birth the her first litter she did give birth to four gerbils but two of them were still born so thats why is said she only gave birth to two. there is nothing wrong with the gerbils im wanting to breed and all i just wanted to know is how many times should a gerbil be bred in their life time and your all going against me, im not doing any thing wrong

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Last edited by AnimalMad; 02-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

please stop saying that my gerbils have genetic illnesses because they dont.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
I am allergic to maths

Your misunderstanding us. You got your question answered and now we are giving you advice as to what you are doing wrong. No one is saying your gerbils have genetic problems. They may well do though. Im just going to come out and say it. You are an irresponsible breeder. You do not know the background of the animals you are breeding. The could have dorment problems, they may not show up in your gerbil now but they could appear in your babies. Dont tell me your gerbils are fine, they may be fine but have dorment problems and there is no way of knowing if they do. Its bad and irresponsible to breed a gerbil if you do not know the genetic history. You should NEVER breed pet shop gerbils, no matter how much you trust the store. If you do not know the genetic background of your gerbils then DO NOT breed them.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
the rodent lover<3

I'm going to have to agree with RodentzRule here. NEVER breed Pet store animals. Because they could have all sorts of problems that you do not know about, and may be passed on to the pups.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello Earthling

Pet store animals should never be bred as the other have mentioned.

Most of them were bred to be food for reptiles and other carnivorous animals. They are mass produced.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

the gerbils at the store are not for food and will not be sold to be some ones snakes food, they phone and check up on the gerbils you've bought, and if they was inbred wouldnt there be deformities and they wouldnt live for long? my gerbils live for up to 4 or 5 years and more

all i have said is that her first litter, one of them has died because of a tube from a factory that a relitive works in had chemicals on it and it seems to me that your taking that as a genticly passed on illness(her first litter)

And i know that your helping but it really hurts my to say that im a irresponsible breeder, but i cant help it if there are no breeders around for me to buy gerbils of, and that i cant go far from home to get to a breeder, and all the babies that went to the pet shop my mum gave them our home number so the people buying them would be able to call us if there was any problems with the gerbils they bought and we have had no phone calls, so the gerblis have not passed on any illnesses to the babies because if they had then maybe they would of shown up by now? anyway its been over a year or so since shes had the pups and they went to the pet store(her second litter)

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Last edited by AnimalMad; 02-21-2010 at 01:18 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM
I am allergic to maths

I apologize for hurting your feelings but it if you cant breed responsibly then you need to wait till you can. You are putting animals lives at risk by breeding pet shop gerbils. I know that the pups may not have had any problems but that doesnt mean they arent there. It could be many litters before any problems emerge. You just dont know if the problems are there. As far as I am concerned this has nothing to do with your previous litter. If I may ask, what was this chemical pipe doing near your gerbils?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Rodentologist

No, just because an animal is inbred does not mean that there are deformities. For example, we got a large surrender of guinea pigs several years ago. It was from a woman who had one male and one female from the pet store. They inbred over and over again until there were nearly 30. All appeared healthy and normal. As they began to age, they started developing tumors behind their eyes. Many had to have one or both eyes removed, and eventually be euthanized when the cancer continued to spread. We have never had this problem in any other guinea pig that has come into the program, but 50% of that group had that problem.

The mother and father were likely both carrying the gene which affects this type of cancer. Neither of them were ever ill or developed the tumors. But breeding them together strengthened the gene, and each subsequent inbreeding made it more and more likely the offspring would get it.

You clearly don't have a grasp of genetics in general and how recessive genes and illnesses work, if you think that not being deformed proves that they aren't inbred and won't produce offspring with genetic problems.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
gerbils breeding, pups