Gerbil Fight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Gerbil Fight

Tonight I was on my way home from my parents house (about an hour away) with my gerbils who were in a split cage because I was getting ready to introduce them. We heard some noise in the back seat and when I turned to check it out Limmiewinks had somehow broken through to the other side and was attacking Nic! We pulled over and I separated them but Nic has a bite on his leg It didn't bleed a whole lot but there is a little patch of fur missing. I've read somewhere that cleaning it with a Q-Tip and peroxide are enough? What are the signs of infection? I would take him to the vet but I can't for a couple of days because of my class schedule and exams. He's walking on the leg but is limping, I just dont' know what to do for him
Limmie is fine and they are in totally separate cages now, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM

I have hamsters, not gerbils...but when mine fought the vet told me to clean the wound with peroxide and put a light layer of Neosporin on it. Don't leave any residue that the gerbil could eat off.

Also, make sure everything is really clean - bedding, wheels, toys, etc. so there is less chance of infection.

Other than that, watch for swelling, infection, or an abcess forming. If it's healing properly, it really shouldn't take more than a few days to notice there is improvement. Little guys like hamsters and gerbils tend to heal quite fast.

If it doesn't seem to be getting better in the next day or two, or anything looks abnormal I would take him to the vet.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Just as said above and be vigilant, so that the scratch does not get any worse. If it does, a trip to the vet would be in order..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Nic. is doing so much better today, he's acting completely normal and not limping at all But boy is it fun trying to peroxide on a gerbils leg!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by floggingmolly
Thanks for the advice! Nic. is doing so much better today, he's acting completely normal and not limping at all But boy is it fun trying to peroxide on a gerbils leg!
Good to know... how about trying to do anything to a Russian Winter White? Just a miniature in itself :-)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:38 PM

Glad to hear he's doing better! =)

I'm with you on trying to give first aid to tiny little hamsters/gerbils...mine are Roborovski Dwarfs (the smallest hamsters)...but luckily if you get them in just the right position they stay pretty much still.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 PM

awww

**** be grand hun dnt worri....i have this cream that is suitable for all animals and it is really gud...it is avaliable in most pet shops...its a small white tub bottle thing and johnsons make it...it smells like tea tree...its really gud and prevents infection and its only around 5 euro...it has worked miracles for me ... i had a rabbit that a pet shop owner had that was after being attacked by another rabbit and he was going to be put down...i used that cream and a antibiotic powder thing and he is fine now...hes cuts were every where and every time you rubbed him and no matter where you rubbed him u would find a cut....i didnt no wether he would make it or not but hes doing very well now and has no cuts at all left

Tags
pet shop, pet shops, separate cages, split cage