gerbil fight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

gerbil fight

i have four gerbils and i recently bought a larger cage so i could put them all together, its 60x20x20. i made a barrier to divide them for a while until they where used to each other and made sure it held and it did. i left the room for a moment to fill a plant pot with some compost and on my return the gerbils had managed to push the barrier and knock it over they were all fighting but they are all pretty much unharmed apart from a few little bites i went over but one of them is in pretty bad shape.

she had been bitten right though the front paw and is having trouble walking on it, this had happened before and she healed up fine but i am more concerned about her teeth. her upper front teeth look as though they have been ripped out. she still tries to chew my clothes when i handle her so i don't think she is in much pain but i am worried that she will be unable to eat. i have soft foods she can eat but I'm wondering if they will actually grow back, i know rodent teeth keep growing but i don't know if they will grow back if actually ripped out. its too soon to tell but it looks that way. the barrier is back up and secure in place and extra mesh just in case.

please reply D: i am so worried i love my little gerbies T.T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 AM

You need see if the teeth have snapped off or wether the root has come out. If the root has come out, the teeth won't grow back and he will need a vet asap.

Is it the top incisors or the bottom incisors that have come out? Either way, if they don't grow back, the other set of incisors will need to be burred by a vet (filed down)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i'm not sure whether it has snapped off or not, i did take her to the vet but they wouldn't see me, there are 4 vets within travel distance, the rest are over 3 hours away and i can't take a gerbil that far on a moped, the told me it was a waste of time and money and refused to take a look at her. i bloody hate them all. them and all the crappy vets who refuse to look at smaller pets, they are all animals in need just the same D:

i can't see any of the tooth but the bottom teeth are already very short, i always keep the cage topped up with nibble sticks and logs and mineral blocks so they always have something to chew, i do check every now and then to make sure she is ok and she seems to be doing fine.

if they don't grow back would it be best to move them onto softer food? at the moment she is eating mushed up ham, ready break oats, moist bread and crumpled up shreddies and she is handling it all fine. i know it's not good food but i just can't find anything else that will be soft enough for her to eat, its better her eat that than have no food at all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Vets have duty to see any animal and treat it no matter how small. If the vets refuse, i would report them.
Don't give soft food, your gerbil needs to be able to chew on something hard to file down her other incisors.

The key thing is that she is still eating. If she still has some tooth left, it will grow back in time although it may not grow back straight.

I would phone your vet again and ask about pain relief, that must be so uncomfortable for her.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok thank you i checked on her today and she was playing with her toys, i shall give the vets a ring in the morning as they are closed now. she also manages to gum down an entire rice crispie xD she doesn't seem to be in any pain but it does look rather horrible...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Vets have duty to see any animal and treat it no matter how small. If the vets refuse, i would report them.
Don't give soft food, your gerbil needs to be able to chew on something hard to file down her other incisors.

The key thing is that she is still eating. If she still has some tooth left, it will grow back in time although it may not grow back straight.

I would phone your vet again and ask about pain relief, that must be so uncomfortable for her.
No they don't. Vets specialize. You don't want to take your horse to a dog vet, and you dont want to take your gerbil to a dog and cat vet. You don't want to take your reptile to a bird vet. You don't want to take your raccoon to a horse vet. And those vets won't normally see animals out side their field because really they can't treat them and if they kill your animal you can press charges on them.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
No they don't. Vets specialize. You don't want to take your horse to a dog vet, and you dont want to take your gerbil to a dog and cat vet. You don't want to take your reptile to a bird vet. You don't want to take your raccoon to a horse vet. And those vets won't normally see animals out side their field because really they can't treat them and if they kill your animal you can press charges on them.
Actually, in the UK, all vets have a responsibility to see any pet you bring in. If they can't treat it, they will refer you onto another vet who can. I have contacted the British vetinary association to double check this and they have confirmed it.

When studying vet science, you learn about loads of various animals, not just one. And my old vet by the way is an equine/livestock vet but people still went there with their cats, dogs and small animals, they were still treated.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

its ok i have been checking every day and her teeth have started to grow back, she is chewing and eating as normal now which is a huge relief, also they have all merged together in the big cage so they have a good family of four now , i bought them a coconut to celibrate, cut a hole in the top (with a massive drill, very scary) and they ate all of the inside and they now sleep in it. all four of them, when they sleep i can just see four little noses poking out of the hole, it's so cute i could just die. i bought them a load of new toys and they are looking really happy . its just good that Meyri has her teeth coming back, i don't know what i would have done if the were gone for good T.T
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Newborn Pup

well at least you have a happy ending!

Wakwe-Wolfe
Quote:
RIP Ivory Gerb.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Actually, in the UK, all vets have a responsibility to see any pet you bring in. If they can't treat it, they will refer you onto another vet who can. I have contacted the British vetinary association to double check this and they have confirmed it.

When studying vet science, you learn about loads of various animals, not just one. And my old vet by the way is an equine/livestock vet but people still went there with their cats, dogs and small animals, they were still treated.
Interesting. Here they will refuse you. Some exotic vets will treat normal pets like cats dogs, but normal vets normally refuse exotics/ live stock and what have you.
Not saying they won't refer you, but at the same time they won't treat them. Emergencies are different but sometimes you have to sign a form saying you won't blame them if they do something wrong with your exotic

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
gerbil fight teeth