Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Gerbil Help?

Tags
gerbil
3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  RedMonkeyButt 
#1 ·
My little sister has two gerbils, Sandy and Mary. She takes good care of them, but she almost never interacts with them.:( So how much time a day should gerbils be allowed out of their cage with human interaction? And also, Mary's nose has turned red like it has been bleeding, could it just be stress?

#2 ·
Sorry, I don't know exactly how long as in hours or anything, but she should definitely play with them every day. Are they very skittish? If so she can talk to them and sit by the cage and then they will get used to having her around.

Also make sure when you try to pick them up you aren't chasing them around because it really scares them. Instead kind of lure them with treats. Hope it helped.

#4 ·
There is a sickness called red nose nad yes it can be caused from stress, or it could be an allergy to the bedding. Switch to aspen if you are using pine or if you are using aspen use carefresh.

#7 ·
you should have the gerbils out for 10-15 mins ans the red nose could be from head butting stuff in the cage my gerbils go into the corners and move the sawdust up the cage so all the corners have big towers of bedding all up them and the gerbils nose gose red but i clean it off.

#9 ·
The red nose could be from 3 things,
the litter you're using or them play fighting. If it was real fighting there would be more then a bloody nose, all of my gerbils have gotten it and I just put a little dab of vaseline around the nostrils (it was very tricky. LOL) or them ramming their face against stuff, it sounds funny, but you know how they but litter in corners and stuff? That. LOL
About the interaction, you could buy them a playpen.. I let mine out for about, maybe 10 minutes a day, and when they seem to be bored I let them out in their pen for about, i'd say a 15 minutes, half hour tops.

#10 ·
yeah i still dont get why the ram things in the corner???

#12 ·
yeah i thought that. funny little things they are..

#14 ·
they must have good eyes becuase my baby gerbil scare at the tinyest movement

#15 ·
O rit could be because they don't know what they heard. and their eyes don;t really effes=ct there ears. like some animals have bad eyesight but great hearing :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.