Gerbil Introduction Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Gerbil Introduction Question

I have a load of experience with gerbil intros, but this one I want some advice on from experts.

Pearl died leaving Polly alone. Polly always seemed rather sedate and calm.

I got Marge, a youngster; friendly and calm.

Neutral territory, new smells, split screened for three days with the separated gerbs moved to each other's side every 9-10 hours or so.

Screen removed. Closely watched for two hours, and watched off and on for two more. Marge seemed a little nervous, but Polly did not seem aggressive, although curious. I left for twenty minutes, and when I came back Marge had a big bite near her tail.

So they got permanently separated, and Marge is fine.

That same day, coincidentally, Tina died of natural causes, leaving Doreen alone.

So. . . should I even attempt to introduce Polly to another gerbil (Doreen or another) or is she the kind who would resist meeting any new gerbil? Polly is somewhat over a year old.

I will try putting Marge and Doreen together next week. Polly? I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

I should add Polly started to gnaw through the steel mesh of the split screen; I had to add thicker gauge mesh!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 AM

I think that three days is too little time. Even if males and some females accept young pups right away, I like to do the split cage for at least a week, more if it's a rather difficult introduction. And I've had gerbils in split cages for over a month. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I just suggest you that you split cage them for more than 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 AM

Maybe Polly was attached to Pearl ( maybe they were paired ). Usually when that happens, they should be kept by theirselves.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 AM

I would give it some more time.
Did you do the intro right after the last one passed? or did you wait some time inbetween?
I have a older male split that's been going on for a month, still no bonding.
I also have a young pup and a younger gerbil (females) in a split cage for 3 or so weeks, and nothing. I had 2 older males in a split cage with nutral intros every once and a while for two months and still no bonding.
I'm trying a few new things myself (going from a large split down to a much smaller one after a few weeks time).

Some intros can happen right away, but it's not usually the case (I sure wish it was though).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

It was almost a week after Pearl passed away that I tried Polly with Marge for a little over three days.

THE QUESTION is "Is Polly resistant to ANY new gerbils?". Of course, I can try her for longer periods split. But not with Marge.

Little Marge had Doreen (whose Tina died recently) placed in her tank with me watching. I have watched them for seven hours - and they are interacting normally, and Marge is not timid, and everything looks very normal. No screen needed. Marge barely hid at all and only at first. Fascinating how they can sense another gerb is no threat.

So, maybe Polly wth some else another time - screened for a longer time.

But Marge and Doreen are doing just fine.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:26 PM

maybe you could find another for Polly to be with.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I will. I just wanted to know if people thought Polly would always be resistant to intros.

Meanwhile, Doreen and little Marge are grooming each other and sleeping in a heap. Photo later.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

So, you see little Marge (a sapphire color, right?) got along immediately with Doreen, and vice versa. Seven hours after being put togther they were sleeping and grooming together. Sweet.

Polly remains alone. We shall see about her. But if I do try it again with her the split screening will be for a lot llonger.

Gerbil intros are always hard to figure.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:03 AM

how long has Polly been with Pearl before Pearl died....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Not that long, maybe half a year. Pearl used to be with Penny, a cream, and a rescue, who died last year.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM

well if they werent together since they were born then they might have not gone too attached and maybe, Polly can find another friend to stay with.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM

I agree, I would do the split cage for a week or two. In my opinion older females are the hardest to introduce, because one gerbil is usually set in her ways and thinks she is the princess and doesn't want to share her palace.

A few years ago I adopted Alba a lone female gerbil, and I adopted another gerbil Penny Lane for a breeder. Alba lived in a foster home before she came to live with me, and she was very much spoiled, and she knew she was a princess. Alba would not accept Penny Lane everytime I would introduce them.

How old is she? Maybe you can find an older male at a shelter or something that is alone too. That worked out for me really good a few years ago, and I was able to introduce them w/in 4 days.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

>> How old is she? Maybe you can find an older male at a shelter or something that is alone too. <<

I don't want to breed!

But I will try something with Polly soon.

She managed to gnaw out of the holding bin she was in and was roaming around the floor! A thicker bin she is in. For the moment.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 PM

Hi I was just wondering if you ever got your gerbils introduced?

Tags
split cage