Gerbil pregnant? PLEASE HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Gerbil pregnant? PLEASE HELP!

So about 3 weeks ago I bought 2 gerbils from pets at home (Fudge and Cornflake). There house is set up with a tank below with sawdust and a cage above where there little house with soft bedding is for them to climb and dig in equal amounts. They have lots of wooden things to chew and mineral block which they go mad for, they also have various dangling toys and things to chew on around the cage.

I was assured they were both the same sex. His wording was 'Im unsure of what sex they are but they are both the same as we only keep the same sex in each cage'. I was a bit weary.

I picked the two I wanted in the shop and one seemed quite sleepy (cornflake) and the other quite active (fudge). When we first got them they were in a cardboard carrier to get them home (I know its a stupid things to carry an animal that chews but it is what the shop gave us), when we got them home fudge was chewing through his box so we set the gerbilarium up straight away to put him in whereas cornflake we basically had to leave him to come out on his own accord.

We set the gerbilarium up on top of a bookcase, away from the light but not in the dark, theres no drafts or anything, although it is quite close to the tv. I left them for a couple of days, although regularly talking to them to get them used to my voice, I change their food and water twice a day so they have fresh stuff in the morning and before bed. After they seemed to be getting more interested in what i was doing, i began putting my hand in and cornflake was over straight away, nibbling my hands and fingers and eventually climbing onto my hand, however fudge was and still is quite shy and wont come near me. They were very active for the first day then became more sleepy during the day etc which i expected.

Moving onto the pregnancy thing. I am worried one is a female, i found them one day with one on top of the other, one is regularly on their back with the other one sniffing and licking around its bum, when they go in their little house it rocks back and forth quickly and you can see them moving around inside. Cornflakes behaviour has completely changed, I put my hand in this morning to change their food, and he jumped out of the house and bit my finger, drawing blood down my nail and he carried on doing this throughout the day and fudge has began taking more interest in my hand. Cornflake seems very agitated and is running around, i stood up earlier and as i walked past the tank he jumped off the shelf as if he was frightened. Their house is from pets at home and i fill it with soft bedding stuff, almost like toilet roll which i get from there too, i change it every couple of days because of them pooing and weeing in it. They fluff up the bedding and when i change it its always nice and fluffy and completely different to when i put it in. However recently i have notice fudge has been carrying in bits of sawdust and i read that they make a nest when theyre pregnant out of anything they can find.

I first notice all of this on monday and i cant really tell if ones changed shape. Im a first time gerbil owner so im not ready for a litter and wouldnt know what to do. How do i know for definite or do you just have to wait until they pop them out? please help me i am really desperate as i dont know what to do!

Many thanks, Becci.

Last edited by fudgecornflake; 06-14-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi Becci. Sorry it took so long to see your post. I don't come here much anymore as the place has gone quite quiet these days.
Unfortunately I don't have experience with gerbils, but if you'd like to PM me I know someone who does and can probably give you the advice you are seeking.
Hope to hear from you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!

Tags
gerbil, gerbils, house, pregnancy, pregnant