Gerbil Toilets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Question Gerbil Toilets

You know those hamster/gerbil pottys you see at the store? Do any gerbils really use those things or do they just throw the litter out and go to the bathroom where ever? I'm just curious because my two girls love and I mean LOVE (as in only) go to the bathroom in their wheel

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:01 PM

Since the little toilet is plastic i don't think it would last long.
Some people put a bowl of sand in for their gerbils to use as a bathroom (works well), i find a clean empty glass jars work well for some also.
I just clean out the jar (or replace it) a couple times a week and the tank keeps much cleaner longer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

I will have to try that. Maybe they will use that more than their wheel. Any other suggestions?

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM

Clean EVERYTHING well. Save a little soiled stuff and put it in a corner. Maybe they will go there.

I think those plastic potty things are intended for hams, not gerbs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 PM

I have seen those too and wondered about it. But my gerbils go in the wheel also, and when getting the sand bath they use it for potty So nowq I let them role and get all sleak and pretty, then take out the sand as for the wheels I just take them and clean them The ones Iam talking about is porcelin don't know if that is spelt right lol
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
I think those plastic potty things are intended for hams, not gerbs.
Yup, I agree. I've littertrained hamsters but I have a feeling gerbils would just chew them apart.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

I wouldn't reccommend plastic, as gerbils are big on chewing!I had one of those in Ember's cage when I first got her...she immediatly started chewing it.And hehe...the sand I had put there for her was eaten by her.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 PM

Plastic or anything really lasts with gerbils. well the hard plastic does so far they haven't chewed thier way out. My gerbils eats sand too I don't know if that is good or not, it must be because they do eat and still are healthy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

I might try to get a mesh wheel in there and see if they stop going to the bathroom where they are and maybe going in the shavings. Thanks for the suggestions

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:07 AM

Gerbils can gnaw through thick PVC pipe, and another gnawed through the steel mesh of a split screen; I had to add thicker gauge mesh. Their teeth and amazing, and the biting pressure tremendous for their size.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:16 AM

I've seen a sleep and eat in the toilet. It might go to the bathroom in there, since the cage is clean, but I dont think Ive seen a go in those type bathrooms.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Talking Re: Toilets

Hi Christine,
Yes, our two gerbils have a little critter potty in one corner and I would swear they probably go to the bathroom in there at least 80 percent of the time, as I clean it out a lot!

But one of my gerbils, Mick, loves to kick stuff so we had to get an enclosed plastic potty, the kind with a covered dome over the top so he can't kick potty litter out of it. Of course he also loves to turn it over, so we drilled a couple of small holes on the sides to put wire through and tie it down to the floor so he can't flip it, ha!
Kind of a lot of hassle but it is great how clean their habitat stays when they go there to do their business. They nibbled a little at the plastic but not much. We give them so much other stuff to nibble on that they pretty much don't nibble on the potty that much if at all. It is pretty thick though, maybe that is why they dont chew on it? Not sure.
Vladina