Gerbil v.s. Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Gerbil v.s. Hamster

Hey guys im just wondering which one do u think is better?
And why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:45 PM

I have no previous experience with gerbils.
But I LOVED my hamster& want to have another.

With gerbils I think its important to keep them in an aquarium with a screen lid.
Chewing cage bars isnt good.
Remember to give them things TO CHEW tho.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 PM

we have lots of gerbils and they are awesome they dont bite as much as hamsters we have ours in an aquarium, plastic cage, and bar cage yeah we have 3 cages the only thing about gerbils is they have to have something to chew on to keep there teeth down but you can easily give them toilet paper rolls in which they really love to chew on plus there are chew sticks at walmart for 88 cents and i dont know we just enjoy the gerbils better than the hamster we had good luck choosing b/c they are both awesome pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't have much experience with gerbils but love hamsters . They are great pets. They have a bad reputation for biting but I've never been bitten by a hamster . I've had a few who were shy but never any "mean" ones.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Title Thief Victim

I like Gerbils better, but I also like hamsters! lol Gerbils aways seemed to be nicer then the hamsters i had

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Thabs for replyies keep posting!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 PM

I prefer hamsters as I have only had them. I am just not as interested in gerbils. I absolutely adore hamsters and my current two girls are absolutely adorable.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think there is very little difference between them. It is generally the 'tail thing'..:-) many people prefer hamsters because their tail so so short. As for chewing, their habits in this respect are very similar. My 2 male RWWs chew on the metal bars of their play pen and one of the food bowls, which is metal. And of course, since their arrival almost 6 months ago: the little metal ladders in their main cage...

Newsletter
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 AM

They are both cute but prefer dwarf hamsters because of the color variations in them. I have a white hamster , a black hamster, two goldens and two gray and whites. I also dont think all hamsters bite. I have two that I got fromthe Petstore that dont bite and I also have ones that I have had as babies that dont bite. I really love them they are so cute. They started out as My Daughters pets but have become the whole familys

Last edited by chachi; 05-07-2007 at 05:59 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 AM

If you like bigger hamsters the syrians are nice. I think later on we will get one of those. The only disadvantage to them iis you can only keep one in a cage. My Daughter wants a Teddy Bear one
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i love hammies because i can leave them alone for a day if i need to. also hamsters like to be wherever you put them lol. generally mine have been....not slow...but not quick when i have them out with me. they can blast away on a wheel, but are calmer when out with you. teddy bear hamsters are syrians, they're just generally bigger. but their temperament isn't guaranteed just like with any animal

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmmm...thats a tough one.I haven't had a hamster since I was a kid,but I did have a gerbil last year,she passed at the age of 3.

My gerbil was extremely hyper and didn't like to be handled.She was friendly,just not handable.She chewed ALOT and was very destructive.She chewed more then all of my mice and rats put together.

Hamsters bite often and seem to have bad tempers.I am always hearing stories of grumpy hammies...I don't remember too much about them,as like I said last time I had one I was a kid.My sister has a hammie named Button and he is pretty cute and sweet.He was a biter at first,but with love and attention he has become very sweet.

I think I am going to say I like hamsters better,just because my gerbil didn't have the temperment I like.I usually like affectionate animals (like rats) and my gerbil was anything but affectionate,she didn't care about me at all.

After rambling for so long...I pick hamsters.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Adolescent Pup

hmm its hard for me to pick, beacuse i loved my hammie holly and i love my gerbils........i think i'll pick both.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 PM

I loved my gerbils, but I think I prefer hamsters because I had so many in my past that lived for 3+ years. They just have a special place in my heart, I think. I'm not sure if they're even that much different behaviorally, though I've heard that hamsters bite a little more often.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Gerbils definatly.
I've only had one hamster before in the past, and it was rather boring compared to the gribles, hah.

Tags
bear hamster, cage bars, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, food bowls, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, teddy bear hamsters