gerbils - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

gerbils

Hi, I have 2 gerbils one has eplipsey its sad to see her have a seziure. Gerbils are so annoying lol they kick every thing out of there cage and they allways scratch the cage at the bottom so annoying. They also just bite and tear up every thing they can. They have torn up towels, the plastic thing to hold a salt lick in and just some plastic toys. Also there hard to catch when you want to pick them up out of the cage. I would not recommend gerbils I would recommend hamster there so loving and they dont run away when you try to pick them up. And hamster are quiter. Just wondering gerbils dont need wheels do they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I have never owned gerbils, but I have had a hamster and they can be very loving, but they are prone to biting. Lots of different kinds of animals can push the bedding out of their cage, not just gerbils. Hamsters can be very loud as well, because they chew on the cage bars and run on the wheel which can be squeaky. All rodents are loud (well in my experience )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Hi, I have 2 gerbils one has eplipsey its sad to see her have a seziure. Gerbils are so annoying lol they kick every thing out of there cage and they allways scratch the cage at the bottom so annoying. They also just bite and tear up every thing they can. They have torn up towels, the plastic thing to hold a salt lick in and just some plastic toys. Also there hard to catch when you want to pick them up out of the cage. I would not recommend gerbils I would recommend hamster there so loving and they dont run away when you try to pick them up. And hamster are quiter. Just wondering gerbils dont need wheels do they?
Gerbils aren't a hassle for me, i've owned 5. Right now, I have 2, males, and they're not much of a hassle, but they're probably bored. They don't need wheels, but i'd reccomend something metal. They can chew plastic as if it was a peice of bread.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Hello Earthling

I have heard that gerbils are pretty good pets.

Did you do your reaserch before you got them and do you spend time with them??

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Like canadiancritter said, the more time you spend with them, the more tame they will become

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

You can give them wheels...not the ones with the holes or rungs though,as feets and tails can get caught! Or you can let them run around in a hamster ball.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

If you do let them in a hamster ball it can't be for all day or anything because they have bad ventilation! But you can definitely let them run. Like Lisa said, they can have wheels, but they don't need them and get this kind...Or something similar without holes.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,if you do put them in a ball...only have them in it for 10-15 minutes at a time.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello Earthling

You could get a pen for them and let them run around. Or let them run around in the bath tub. Create a little gerbil gym for them.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 AM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
You could get a pen for them and let them run around. Or let them run around in the bath tub. Create a little gerbil gym for them.
Yep, I got mine the crittertrail playpen from PetSmart..

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

gerbils

Wow so many post thank you all. I have had two hamsters they never bit, the one maybe once and the other one she never bit me. They were very loving to me , one was more stubborn then the other one. Only one chewed on the bars constintly. If you get the silent spinner it is really quiet Im serious. Oh how I miss them they passed on. Miss having hamsters but Im not ready to love a hamster again.

No I dont spend much time with them see what happend is I think to hide the pain I get more animals after they pass. After the first hamster died I got the two gerbils after 3 weeks of her being dead. But I still cant love the gerbils and Im having a hard time playing with them there just not my babys. Kinda just down forget about the gerbils a lot but I do manage to clean there cage and feed them and stuff. Then after the other hamster died I got a mouse after her being dead for a month. Sorta can love her but not feeling the bond yet but I am a little bit. After there dead I am going to tell my self no more no more and put a stop to it.

Yes they have a play pen and guess what they jump over it lol so they have to be supervised in it. Good idea about the hamster ball but guess what I put them both in it with there own ball and they just sit there and stare at me lol and I push them a little bit but they still dont get the Jist lol so I gave up. yes now I give them metal toys and wooden toys. There is really no room for a wheel in there cage so good to know there be okay with out one. Thanks alllll.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Hello Earthling

If you can't put the time into giving them the attention they deserve then maybe you should have them. Cleaning their cage and feeding them just isn't enough. Gerbils are curious creatures that love to explore and play etc...

If you just got them to fill a void you had/have from lossing your hamsters then maybe you shouldn't have them.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have to agree with Kayla.
Gerbils and other animals need more then a clean cage and some food and water.They need love,care and interaction.If your not willing to provide this to them,then maybe you should consider rehoming them to someone who is willing to provide them with love.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

you say your not bonding with them?? i cant see why i love them! they amaze me at what they can do! i let mine run up and down my arm and they sit on my shoulder like parrots, they are kinda hard to handle, but its fun.

why dont you try spending and hour or to watching them run round the cage, then get them out sometime and just let them run over your hands and put tubes down , i get little toy horse fences and stables and the love to run and jump over and in them!

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh and you can teach them to run obstical courses

Tags
gerbils