gerbils and babies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

We have 2 female mother and daughter gerbils.1 female apperently was pregant when we bought her and had 6 babies 4 weeks ago. she ate 1 baby while we were asleep andl last night I heard squelling and she had ate off the legs of another 4 week old baby. The baby is alive and we seperated the mother until she calmed down. we can not understand why this happened. what should we do and how do we keep the baby with no back legs? The baby is eating and pulling itself around. This made my kids sad. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 04:46 PM

This sometimes happends when a mother gerbils is to young to care for her pups, or is well crazy :p
At 4 weeks the babies will start to wean now, so in another week i would definetly remove the pups. if she si still attackign them, remove the pups and feed them a food with kitten food in it, and add bread soaked in Kitten Milk Replacement for them.

Also, how big is the enclosure they are living in, and how many gerbils are living in it?
Sometimes if a habitat is not big enough the gerbils will eat/kill other gerbils in the tank.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry this has happened and I hope that the little gerb will be ok...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1963
We have 2 female mother and daughter gerbils.1 female apperently was pregant when we bought her and had 6 babies 4 weeks ago. she ate 1 baby while we were asleep andl last night I heard squelling and she had ate off the legs of another 4 week old baby. The baby is alive and we seperated the mother until she calmed down. we can not understand why this happened. what should we do and how do we keep the baby with no back legs? The baby is eating and pulling itself around. This made my kids sad. Any advice?
I never heard of a mother eating 4 week olds. I do know though that mothers do eat thier babies because they need protien in thier diet when pregnant, I fed mill worm to Nibbles when she was pregnant and she didn't eat hers and she had 3 litters. My last litter from a different mother had one the one that is pictured is one of hers. and then right after they were about 6 weeks she had another litter, by this time I had separated boy and girls, she was left with sugar a baby still , but anyway she ate two babies and killed the other 3. Nemo didn't get the mill worm when she was pregnant both times the first time I didn't know. there is protien in meat I think this is the problem with your gerbil, and if all 3 gerbils are in the same cage this could be the reason too. I am sorry about what happened, I would deffinitely get her out of there though because a baby is mamed now because of it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

That happens with rats and mice...if they don't have the protein they need.They crave extra protien when they are pregnant and nursing.I have lost mouse litters due to lack of the right amount of protein.But now I understand more that they need it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Only thing I can think of here, is that maybe the mother knew something was wrong with them medically and she didn't want them to suffer. Maybe something was about to happen with them and she didn't want to see them suffer?

When I bread my gerbils I feed the mother dried cat food for extra protien.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:30 PM

yeah but that is when they are newborn, 4 weeks they are big too big to be eaten I don't know just seems awful to me, newborns I can understand but not 4 weeks. I didn't know they could eat cat food I will have to remember that next time down the road way down the road lol I saw the cutes little male gerbil to day at petsmart for Sugar he was the tan and white color, but I didn't get him but I wanted too lol
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Add egg and/or milk to her diet. Also, if she is around other male creatures, she may get upset. My hamster, Lily, ate a few of her babies because there was a male dwarf hamster present in the room. It's strange, though, that an animal as social as a gerbil would kill their 4 week-old...It's terrible.

As for keeping a baby with no back legs...Keep a watch on the wounds. Make sure nothing's bleeding. Perhaps get a good anti-biotic. That's about all I can think of. Perhaps address the problem to your vet, however, I would not recommend going in with the baby, as the vet's first notion would be to put the baby down. Give it a chance, however, do not expect anything.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:39 PM

Also, it's best to hard boil the egg and peel it before offering it to any animal. It tastes better this way, and has less risk of bacteria.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 AM

I know of boiled eggs and carrots, strawberry and others but I don't know why mine won't eat them, they sure do love those meal worms though. I don't give them to them too much though. I;m going to try the egg again, do you give them the yolk only or the whole thing, I mean in pieces of course lol
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 PM

I've given my rats boiled eggs, but not my degus yet. I guess I should try it. What you do is normally boil the egg, and then you can either peel it or just pop it in there. Sometimes, my rats would get so frustrated because they couldn't peel it that they went insane, so I had to cut it up. Just experiment. Start with the whole egg first. The egg shell probably isn't good for degus, now that I think about it, because it has a lot of calcium.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:20 PM

For gerbils, though, go ahead. The shell might give them healthy bones.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
I've given my rats boiled eggs, but not my degus yet. I guess I should try it. What you do is normally boil the egg, and then you can either peel it or just pop it in there. Sometimes, my rats would get so frustrated because they couldn't peel it that they went insane, so I had to cut it up. Just experiment. Start with the whole egg first. The egg shell probably isn't good for degus, now that I think about it, because it has a lot of calcium.
Whatever you do please don't give your degu's egg at all. They are herbivores which means they live of plants, seeds, roots etc.... They can't digest animal proteins and egg could harm them!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Oh alright. I guess I thought it wouldn't harm them. I haven't done that, and I won't.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:12 AM

you give them the whole egg unpeeled? I was thinking the other way and peeling it, and giving them just the yold I was under the impression the yolk has the protien.

Tags
cat food, dwarf hamster, guinea pig, kitten food, meal worms