Gerbils in a cage... how do you do it? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Gerbils in a cage... how do you do it?

For anyone who keeps a gerbil in a cage... how the heck do you do it?
OMG what a pain in the tush!

I have seperated my 3 males permenently (after a de-clan), at least untill we can build my split tanks for them.
I only have 2 10G tanks left and 3 gerbils. So I pulled out the emergency spare, a Habitrial Safari Cage I purchased a long, long time ago.
I put Peej in there, since I new he would not chew the bars or the plastic wheel (the other boys would). But holy smokes WHAT A MESS!
I am vacuuming up everyday now, i have to wear slippers into the gerbil room, he tosses the litter everywhere out those bars!
It's only been a couple days and the absolute mess is driving me crazy!
I'm going to make my boyfriend walk in that room with his bare feet, maybe it will help him understand how bad i need a split cage built! (And i need his help!, But he's a procrastinating engineer ).

Oh and I also tryed putting cardboard in the bars to keep the litter in, he pulled 2 of the three peices into the cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Hahaha, silly boy.... that's why I prefer tanks with ANY rodent... much less mess...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:24 PM

you could try to buy another tank but if not you can buy separaters they are verry cheep and I believe come for all cages includeing tanks :-) hope whatever you decide to do works out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 PM

lol, I have that same exact problem with my gerbils! ...and to make things worse, I have two cages and they do the same thing in both x__x
Bedding is all over my bedroom floor and they drive me crazy chewing the bars at night. Lmao, trust me... I would definately like to buy them new cages... but it's just not in my "budget" right now. Hehe, well at least I now know my gerbils are just being normal and not going insane lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Well my 50G tank split is almost done, all it needs is a lid and i can toss that little cage back into the closet
YEAY!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

My male mouse chews the bars. He had one of those habitrail space orbit looking things (the ones with the wheel at the top that spins and goes around in circles) I took it off because he pooped so much in it (it only lasted 1 night!!) and I couldn't get it apart. So it's in my boyfriends garage full of poop. I say I'm going to clean it out but I haven't gotten to it yet. He chews on the bars, and I think it's because I took out the wheel. He doesn't do it as much as he did, but he does from time to time. (I got him another wheel, but the little brat won't use it, that's why I took it out) My female doesn't chew on anthing, she just hides in her nest and runs on her wheel a little, but she's pregnant. I think when I have the cash I'm going to get rid of the habitrail. Even though I think that cages you basically make yourself, like buy the shell and put what you want in them are better, but I went to petco the other day and they had some neat cages. I just wish they were cheaper.
Padfoot I really liked your idea with the cage in the sterlite bin, I might try that after my babies are born, so I can keep more in the cage.

I think I'm ranting I think what I wanted to say was my male throws bedding out of his cage but it's only in the spot where the door is.

*Missy*
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 PM

I have never kept a gerbil in a tank so I don't even know what would happen.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
I have never kept a gerbil in a tank so I don't even know what would happen.
I think you ment cage
I'm SO glad to have the split tank done, no more messes for me WOO HOO!
I'm fostering a Momma Gerb & her babies right now and they came to me in a cage (with news paper in it ) I've now got them in a 15G and they are SO much happier.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:31 PM

D'OH!!!! LOL yea in cage.

I am so tired and so busy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:10 PM

lol

all my gerbils are in cages and yes it is very noisy when they are awake but I don't mind it much. The cleaning of them gets over whelming at times though when you have five cages to clean weekly
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 AM

When my gerbils were in a cage before my dad built them a tank we had the top of a large, flat box to put them in. Takes up more room, but it doubled as a sort of play pen for them.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 PM

I looked at a 20 gallon tank today and I want to get it so I can devide it so I will have one cage, well I need more than one but anyway I can make my life much easier when I get the tanks I don't know about the wheel though they use them often. I have a ten gallon now with one of those wire high rises but it is too hard to get them if I need to or just want to hold them so I am not using it right now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 PM

I have this really big high quality bird cage, the kind suitable for a macaw. I MIGHT use it for Spiny Mice who love to climb. Would have to make a few adaptations, such as creating a solid floor and walls around that floor.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM

I saw some of them also but I I think the tanks will do better for me, we just moved in where we wre now and my vacuum didn't work anymore and I haven't got a new one yet, to make a long story short my carpet in my room is a mess hehe the litter is everywhere. next month I should be able to get the tank but then I need a devider made for it and a top so they can't get out or no one can get in, get a wheel that won't catch thier tails water bottle that doesn't get holes in it. all of that is the disadvantages to having the tank.

Tags
bird cage, spiny mice, split cage