getting a friend for my dwarf hamster... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Question getting a friend for my dwarf hamster...

I got my female russian dwarf hamster last week (5/5/09). Her name is Severus or Sevy for short (named after Severus Snape from Harry Potter ^^; ). She seemed to be a quiet little hamster in the pet shop the day I bought it.

I've had Sevy for a week now but I'm worried that she might be lonely. She seems ok but I've read that dwarf hamsters are social animals and they live in groups. So, I'm planning to buy another dwarf hamster so that she has a friend of her own kind.

The thing is my friend has a dwarf hamster and she bought another new one after about 2 weeks and they kept fighting and she had to seperate them.

So...I'm worried that when I get a new one, they'll fight, too.

I've bought a new, bigger tank and exercise wheel (Sevy is living in another cage). My plan is to move Sevy and the new hammie into the new tank at the same time. I'm hoping that will avoid Sevy from attacking the new hammie since Sevy cannot claim that the new tank is her territory because the tank doesn't not have her smell on it.

What do you guys think? Would it work? or is there another way to introduce a new hamster to an existing one? Or should I just let Sevy live all by herself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 AM

Hi

Well usually dwarf hamsters live toghether if they are brought up together which means that there is 50% change they can live together if the hamster is only 1 week old at your home..

but first disinfect the whole cage before and put the new hamster in the cage, then the old one..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Please remember when you buy a new pet they should be kept in quarantine for at least two weeks before attempting to introduce them to other pets. If you bring a sick pet into the house you don't want it to get the existing pets sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenishaS View Post
Please remember when you buy a new pet they should be kept in quarantine for at least two weeks before attempting to introduce them to other pets. If you bring a sick pet into the house you don't want it to get the existing pets sick.
Yes this may work but the best idea is to bring for example 2 dwarf hamsters from the same litter.

Kind regards
Nadia Vella
http://www.hamster-club.com
http://www.thehamsterbook.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and advice ^^...after much thought, I think I'm gonna keep Sevy by herself. Don't think I can bare with having her get attacked or attacking another hammie. She seems to be doing well by herself and since there are many hamster owners who had happy, healthy hamsters without keeping them in pairs or groups, it should be ok. On the other hand, I also have a winter white now (living in the new tank, not together with sevy)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotRabbit View Post
Thanks for the help and advice ^^...after much thought, I think I'm gonna keep Sevy by herself. Don't think I can bare with having her get attacked or attacking another hammie. She seems to be doing well by herself and since there are many hamster owners who had happy, healthy hamsters without keeping them in pairs or groups, it should be ok. On the other hand, I also have a winter white now (living in the new tank, not together with sevy)

You're welcome

Nadia Vella
http://www.Hamster-Club.com
http://www.TheHamsterBook.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Playful Pup

Glad you are going to keep Sevy by herself, once she has been by herself it is hugely unlikely that she would accept a friend. They do not know any different once they have been taken away, hamsters may have that for a day or so then move on.

All my dwarf hamsters are by themselves and are fine. I bought 2 together last year and had to separate them due to fighting, fortunatly I had a cage on standby just in case. I have a lone robo who was with friends but they ganged up on him and had to be separated, he is far happier on his own than he ever was with the other 2.

6 Ratties Kamarlie, Luka, Kato, Kenzo, Jay & Kai

Tags
fight, friend, lonely, russian dwarf hamster