Getting a Hamster -Help with cage, bedding and placing of cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Getting a Hamster -Help with cage, bedding and placing of cage

After 5 years - i am getting a hamster again for my birthday. My house is smaller then before and have limited options where to put the hamster cage. I was thinking of putting him in the bedroom, but my parents said he would smell? the only option right now is the laundry room on a shelf? any suggestions?

1. if i used carefresh will it help keep the odor down? and could i put in my room or any place in the house?

2. What is a good cage? i was thinking of making a Bin Cage or getting the Habitrail OVO LOft

3. when i bring the hammy home from the petstore - do i hold him and put him in his cage or just open his box and let him go in his cage?

Thanks

Faze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
is a little "special"

1. Carefresh, aspen, and kiln-dried pine (NOT normal pine!) are all fine to use as bedding. We use aspen for our little guy, and I never smell him... Just make sure to clean his cage often and you shouldnt have an issue.
2. Personally, I dont like the Habitrail type cages. Most of them dont have enough room for a hammy, and they are really hard to clean. I would go with an aquarium or a bin cage.
3. Just open the box and leave it in the cage. He will venture out when he feels comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Depending on the hamster, I'd opt for a 10 gallon aquarium with a SuperPet cage topper for a Syrian, for a dwarf, you're going to want something, I'd think, without bars that they could slip through. A bin cage would be good

Edit: Yeah - the Habitrail cages really are a bother to clean out efficiently...You can find your own tubes to give to your hamster to let him crawl through - paper towel rolls, toilet paper rolls, new drain pipes from a hardware store.... anything, really. Cardboard rolls are a good idea because they can chew it up and it cures their boredom.

The idea of a pet in the laundry room bothers me - especially if you guys use bleach; smelling bleach is toxic to all animals, and I wouldn't risk putting a hamster, or any caged pet in the laundry room, exposed to that.

Hamsters can smell - just keep the cage clean, silly! Honestly I find females stink much more than males(Syrians, that is) the smell they give off gets all over your hands, and clothing and....*shudders* Oh my goodness, I hate it. Carefresh is a good brand, but it is expensive. Aspen is another option, and so is paper shreddings. Paper shreddings don't last long, though, and there definitely would be the worry of stench. Hamsters are very hygienic creatures, the only time they can be correlated with stinkyness, is if you don't keep their cage clean. I used compressed pine pellets from a brand called Equine Fresh. People say you shouldn't use pine unless it's kiln-dried - but pine pellets hold up REALLY well with moisture, and I pour the pellets into a container and let it sit free in the air for a week before even using it, so any phenols dry out.

When you bring him home from the store, place his box, with him in it, open, into the cage, put the cover on, close the cage up, whatever, and just leave him be. He'll probably make the box as his nest for a while, then you can slowly start introducing your scent to him.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 03-04-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Playful Pup

I like the carefresh bedding. I have used it with my hamster, gerbils & snake. I never had a problem with the bedding with any of my animals & oder. But do make sure you clean the cage atleast once every 2 weeks unless needed more. As for a cage, I had a CritterTrail for my hamster & she loved it. I also had a dwarf hamster. & It was plenty of room! But which ever you choose make sure theres a wheel because from experiance thats where they love to go once they know what it is and how to use it! They also like tubes and chewable toys. I got blocks for my hampster & gerbils and they eat them up! Also keep an eye on your hamster because I remember mine used to burrow her way through the bedding and make a little nest. So if you see yours start digging try putting a little more bedding in that area! As for handling when you get the hamster, you can try and see if it will climb into your hand if not then place the box down & usually they'll climb right out and start to explore. The more you place your hand in the cage the more that the hamster will get used to you! Mine used to scratch at the side of the cage whenever I would enter the room! Hope all goes well with your new critter!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I am allergic to maths

Contrary to what has been said, I wouldnt go with a tank or bin cage. All hamsters (except robo's) like to climb, I would reccomend a GOOD (nice and roomy) bar cage if possible. Not the OVO loft, they are far too small, arent they meant to be an add-on?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Bar cage = bumblefoot.

'Nuff said.

Especially if the levels are wire, too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you all for your feedback - i bought the CritterTrail Z and a syrian Female she is 4wks old - her name is Coco-snuggles. She is very friendly, playful, and she likes to go in the tubes alot, and dig burrows while she sleeps. When i try to pick her up, she runs away or hides in the tubes but she lets me pet her while she eats.

Ps: she has ball up on her cage, would i need to buy another ball when i clean her cage or can i make her a small playpen either with my 10 gallon fish tank by putting in small toys, food and water?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Contrary to what has been said, I wouldnt go with a tank or bin cage. All hamsters (except robo's) like to climb, I would reccomend a GOOD (nice and roomy) bar cage if possible. Not the OVO loft, they are far too small, arent they meant to be an add-on?

Personally, I dont like bar cages at all for dwarf hamsters. Once I had a dwarf that managed to stick her head through the bars, and she strangled herself before we found her. So I havent used a bar cage for dwarves since then... I would keep them in aquariums, and put tons of toys and climbing things with them.

And a play pen would work just fine. Can you take the exercise ball off her cage? If Im remembering right, Im pretty sure that the ball with that cage can convert into an exercise ball, but Im not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
hamster help