Getting Syrian hamsters. Advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Getting Syrian hamsters. Advice?

One of my co-workers bought her children a Syrian hamster 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago, they woke up to find that the hamster had given birth to 12 babies!

So far, the babies seem to be doing really well. However, the family does not want to keep them. Knowing that I'm an animal lover, she asked if I'd be interested in taking a couple.

Ideally, I'd like to take two. (We have two of everything: rats, cats, rabbits.) Do Syrian hamsters like to have a cagemate? If so, what's an easier bonding relationship? Male/male? or Female/female?

Finally, at what age should they be separated from their mom?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Syrians actually shouldn't be kept with a cagemate. They can end up fighting and seriously hurting each other. Siblings might be okay, but I have never done it and they would have to be very carefully watched to make sure that aren't fighting.
I personally would only take one. I know that it seems misleading when they are all cuddled up together, but as they get older they often times will fight.

Syrians can be weaned at 21 days (3-4 weeks). It is also a good idea to separate the males and females then too.

Can't wait for pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks! That helps a lot! And your tuxedo kitty looks just like ours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah...I only put two Syrians together once out of desperation because me and my room mate both got one, and it was a big mistake. They weren't in the cage anymore than 30 minutes, and my hamster, male, started stealing the food of my room-mate's hamster, also male, and then proceeded to tackle and pin him until I thought my room-mate's hamster was going to have a heart attack from being so freaked out.

It took a long time to tame my room-mate's hamster after that.

So yeah, what you see in pet stores is definitely misleading. My fiance did have luck with having two female Syrians share the same cage though. To my understanding they never went after each other.

Solitary is definitely the safest bet; but if you're that concerned about numbers, 2 females would be a much safer route.