Hairless Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hairless Hamster

Hi I am new to the forum.

Does anybody here have hairless hamsters? There are NO reputable breeders to be found. I have searched and searched, and it's hard to find owners let alone a breeder.

I have one male hairless hamster. I found him in a pet store. When I seen him, there was no thinking... he was mine. I would have much rather bought from a reputable breeder, but that is not an option. I absolutely LOVE him. I am a huge hairless animal lover. I have 4 hairless Chinese Cresteds, a Skinny Pig, and now a hairless hamster. I plan to breed my hl hamster very soon. My ultimate goal is to create a breed of hl hamster OR a hl variety of the Syrian hamster.

To help educate others about the Hairless Hamster, I created a fb group. Just search "Hairless Hamsters" on facebook. It is the ONLY hairless hamster anything on fb.

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

welcome to paw talk,hope you enjoy your stay. and that you find useful infortmation and helpful people.
may i suggest something ? i dont suggest that you breed your little hamster as hairless animals have the hardest time with giving birth and of course you dont no his back ground so genetics is an important factor before breeding .

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I am a owner/breeder/handler of Chinese Cresteds. I also raise and show rabbits, so I'm very knowledgeable on breeding, genetics in general, hairless genetics and color genetics(thanks to the rabbits lol). I would have loved to have gotten from a reputable breeder, but like I said there are none. It is very sad. Why do you think hairless animals have a hard time giving birth? Hairless animals don't require as much special attention as people think they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy on the Eye View Post
I am a owner/breeder/handler of Chinese Cresteds. I also raise and show rabbits, so I'm very knowledgeable on breeding, genetics in general, hairless genetics and color genetics(thanks to the rabbits lol). I would have loved to have gotten from a reputable breeder, but like I said there are none. It is very sad. Why do you think hairless animals have a hard time giving birth? Hairless animals don't require as much special attention as people think they do.
what i mean is you dont know this hamsters background sorry if i didnt express myself properly. as he was a store bought hamster you dont know his background where hes from who his parents are if they had any disorders or illnesses ect.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes, I agree. I do wish he had came with a pedigree and from a reputable breeder. BUT the gene pool is so low. I don't want the hairless gene to become non existant. This is an experiment that I hope will result in a variety of the Syrian OR a breed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Betta Bomb

I cannot remember where I found it (it was a bunny forum) but someone there bred and bred and bred then one day ended up with a hairless mini rex. there is something iffy about the whole hairless thing when it happens as a mistake like that. I despise the thought of a pet store mill hamster being bred for the off chance you might find another hairless. Sorry, my opinion.
http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUn...enHamsters.cfm Okay so apparantly breed it with a haired female and she'll carry and spread the gene. Good luck with finding good homes for them all before you get what you're looking for.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Zoo Keeper

there are a lot of conditions with hairless also pet store hams ... I lost half my accidental litter to a congenital defect. Plus he is most likelyy the product of a satin to satin breeding poor guy ... its so much harder on hams being furless ... make sure to get him soft bedding and lots of TP

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I already have the breeding program thought out for several generations. I know hairless genetics very well, so I won't have a problem getting to where I would love to be. I am certainly not going to defend myself. If this is a forum that disagrees with breeding, please let me know and I will delete my account if that is possible. I don't have the time to defend my reasons. I don't understand how you do not get that the hairless gene is so severely rare that if you can get a hold of one, you're pretty lucky.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Zoo Keeper

Most forums disagree with breeding ...

However that is not my point I am not being mean or attacking and you do not need to defend yourself just saying be prepared for the extra care of a furless hamster

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry, I was directing that to Purple Hops
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Betta Bomb

My opinion is not that of the forum.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Adolescent Pup