Hamster bites - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Ouch!!!

My hamsters are really sweet. Exept one bit me...2 times if anyone has any solutions to make him stop biting that would be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Did you disturb him any way?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 10:08 PM

How long have you had the hamsters? Are they male or female? Were they sleeping? What time of day was it?

Many things can make a hamster bite you. Answering those questions will help me give you some suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Info to the problem!

Well they are both boys...i got them on june 2nd...and one of the time is because i woke him when i was refilling the food bowl. but i dont know why he bit me the 2nd time. I think it was in the late morning/afternoon for both of the bites.

Thank you guys so much for helping me!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,sometime hammies get moody of waken up,so he was prolly grumpy!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Red face Confused!?!?

Well you are right about that...but the 2nd time I was just filling his food bowl and when I put it down...he bit me! I am not really sure why... ...but he just did!

That is what I really need to find out...and ways to make it stop!

Thanks for all sugestions!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Maybe you smelled like food. Do you handle the food when putting it in the dish, or do you use some sort of scoop? I suggest using a scoop. If you smell yummy, he's going to want a taste.

Also, make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before doing anything to the hamsters or their cage.

It is also likely that they just aren't used to you yet, and he may see you as an agressor. If that's the case, it's possible that he will stop biting you once he realizes that you aren't there to hurt him. Play gently with him and give him some treats in your hand (this may result in another bite or two in the beginning) so that he learns to associate your smell with good things.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 03:48 AM

If you handle your hamster roughly in any way they may bite you as a warning or to show you they don't like it. It's also advisable to wash your hands before each handling as you may smell like food. Washing your hands also helps to get the hamster familiar with YOUR scent since it would be consistent if you are always washing up before handling. They could also be biting if you were moving too quickly and it startled or scared him. You should always move slowly when handling a hamster. And yes, you shouldn't wake your hammie and immediately pick him up, give him a minute to wake up. If they are new, they'll eventually get used to you.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanx...I do think i should start using a scooper. Now he has gotten a lot better...so i guess he was no used to me or i smelled like food!

Thank all of you soooooooo much for your help!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I had a dwarf hamster before, and he would always try to bite me, got me a few time too. I tried getting him to get used to me by holding him with gloves and feeding him, but it was no use. I went to the place that I bought him from and they said dwarf hamsters tend to bite. It kinda sucked, I couldn't even go in the cage to feed him, he'd jump to bite me, I had to just dump it in.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 AM

hamster bites

as a hamster owner ive been bitten by them but only if i disturbed them but as they got to know me they didnt bite any more.one thing though if you have a hamster that bites all the time just put a glove on when feeding are trying to handle them ,they will get used to you and another question what kind are the hamsters and if they were mine i would have them in a seperate cage especially if they are syrian hamsters as they dont take well to living together let me know
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=trackstar462]My hamsters are really sweet. Exept one bit me...2 times if anyone has any solutions to make him stop biting that would be great! Thanks![/QUO

it prob is do who wash your hands be for you hold it mite smell it mite smell food and bite i had 6 hamser's the mom had baides
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeah He is used to me holding him w/ gloves...but when i dont hav then on he is pure Evil! lol.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Heyy

heyy sry i am never on anymore!!! anyway now i usea scooper and i love it...he lets me hold him alot now!!! yay!!! lol.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

nice to know..bet you learned not to touch a grumpy hammie your third time...lol
but speaking of hamster bites...my first hamster, Maggie, would bit me several times for about a month...most of them drew some serious blood and it would be so bad that it oozed onto the floor and I wouldnt even realize how much damage she did....so yeah...sucks

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Last edited by Skratikans; 10-03-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters