hamster cage flooring - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

hamster cage flooring

I've been looking at different aquarium cage toppers and the floors are some are 1/2"x 1/2" and 1/2"x1", aren't these floor holes too big for a hamsters foot? Right now I have a topper that has solid plastic platforms but mine gives her limited space to move on. It seems the other cage floors holes are too big. I thought they would make floors 1/4x1/4" openings. Are there any out there like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 AM

I use a terrarium topper for the top of my hamster cage and it's wire mesh. I doubt it's more thatn 1/4" x 1/4" and I'd think it less. It sounds like you are using this as the bottom of your cage? What's your cage setup like?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

my cage setup

My cage is a 10 gallon aquarium and it came with wir cage topper, it has 1 small ramp she climbs and it goes to asolid plank about 4" wide then it leads up to another platform about 8" wide.I have been looking at other toppers that they have wire flooring in bottom of each floor and gives more running around space than mine does but the openings are 1/2x 1" and or 1/2x1/2" and it just seems to me that the holes would be to big for their feet. The company states it's for hamsters ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 PM

ok. Most people who buy those types of cages end up covering the floor with something else. Right now I am setting up a Martin's cage for my hamster (still in the works) and I am going to line the floor with puzzle playground pieces to prevent her from falling through the holes like that. They can walk on those spaces, but they can also slip through them and get caught and hurt themselves. Depending on the set-up of this topped you might be able to do something more solid, like plexiglass or even just tie some sort of cloth over it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

hamster floor

are you talking about those little pieces that you can snap together to make a little house. If she chews on the plexiglass do you think it can harm her?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 PM

My degu cage has a wire bottom (it's all we could find). I knew the spaces would be way too big for the babies to be able to walk on, so I went to Walmart and bought fabric that was on sale for $1/yard. I cut the fabric to fit the side of the cage and left two strips near each corner (one on each side) so that I could tie the strips together (meaning they can't pull the fabric up and move it around). Seems to have worked just fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:10 AM

yes, those little snap together pieces are what I'm talking about. I don't believe that chewing on the plexi-glass will harm her, it's just plastic in the end.

Tags
hamster cage, wire mesh