Hamster Escape - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hamster Escape

My brother's Syrian hamster, Alexis, escaped a couple days ago. She's about a year and a half old and got out once a few months ago but we found her right away. This time we can't find her anywhere and she didn't take any of the food we left out . We had this happen before once with a baby Syrian (also my brother's...he must have bad luck) and we never found her . When my hamsters escaped I always found them within a day or two.

Any ideas? We have a havahart (sp?) trap as well as a bucket with food in it and a ladder leading up to it (but not out). We've left out food and searched every day.

Thanks in advance.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Uh-oh! I hope you find him...

Are there any loose floorboards in your house or holes in the wall that he coulda got thru?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Uh-oh! I hope you find him...

Are there any loose floorboards in your house or holes in the wall that he coulda got thru?
There aren't any that I know of. There's a small hole in the bathroom but that's in another part of the house. Either way it'd be impossible to get to and I don't think his hamster would be able to fit.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:40 AM

If it's been too long it's probably going to be tricky. You might try leaving the food out like you said you've done, another idea is to put the exercise wheel on the floor in the room where the cage is. My hamster ALWAYS uses the hamster wheel at night and it's noisy, you can be in another room and still hear it. If you have a squeeky wheel and the hamster comes to use it you might just find her that way. I would also suggest looking at night since thats the time when hamsters are most active, you might be able to hear her running around then. Keep all doors and windows to the outside locked however.

Good luck!
Andy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:50 AM

I would suggest keeping up with putting food out.

I would also suggest that you search for her more at night than during the day, it would be hard to find her during the day since thats when she's likely to be sleeping, at night you might hear her scurrying around.

If she uses the hamster wheel at night (mine always does) put that out in the middle of the floor or something of the room where the hamster cage is. That way if you hear the wheel squeeking you know that she's there! It'll be tough though if she's been gone for more than a day, but hopefully you find her!

Good luck!
Andy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I hope he's around and if he is that you find him. best of luck!

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

We found her tonight!

This morning my brother said she had taken all of the food he left out but he still couldn't find her. Then about an hour ago he came out of his room and said she was in his rabbit's cage, making a nest in the bedding! He had heard his bunny stomping so that's how he found out. Anyways, she's now back safe and sound .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 AM

congrats
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 AM

Ah, I love a happy ending.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

YAY!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 10:10 PM

Aww, she just wanted a new friend. So glad to hear that you found her.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 12:31 AM

That's great news!

Tags
hamster cage, syrian hamster