Hamster friends with Snake - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Hamster friends with Snake

A hamster in a Japanese zoo has become friends with a snake instead of dinner. Cute story, although I'm upset that they fed the hamster to the snake in the first place. The link is below and there is a video on the page.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10903211
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Feeding live hamsters to snakes borders on the disgusting. What's the matter with them??
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Feeding live hamsters to snakes borders on the disgusting. What's the matter with them??
Also i've read it's very dangerous to feed live animals to reptiles, as the small animal can hurt them quite badly.

I mean it's a 'cute' idea that they are buddies, but i trully don't think a Hammy can live a "happy" life in a snakes habitat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 AM

At least the Japanese don't eat cats and dogs as most of them do in the Far East. Or do they?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Curmudgeon

That's one of the things I don't like about most asian zoos. Their quality of care is waaay below what most Western zoos would even consider a minimum level of care. The article stated that the snake preferred pre-killed prey, ...so why change to live prey? Given that, it's stupid to leave them together, ...and then to go to the press and say that they are "friends"????? How unprofessional, ...on so many levels.

Feeding live prey shouldn't be done unless it the animal won't accept pre-killed prey, ...and that's pretty rare. It's also a financial decision for most facilities. Frozen rats are less expensive to buy and maintain than live ones.

When live prey is presented to a reptile, the two animals should always be under observation so that the prey item doesn't injure the reptile if it isn't killed and eaten. You'd never leave it in there for any extended period. Either the snake is hungry (and it kills immediately), or it isn't....

The stupid part of the article is that they aren't "friends". It's just an example of a snake that is not hungry, or refusing this particular prey item. What's more, I'd think that a hamster is a bit large for that particular snake. Mice are probably more appropriate for most Rat snakes, ...despite the name.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Well, it does say that the snake had refused to eat frozen mice for some reason. However my first inclination was that since they put in the hamster instead of simply a live mouse it was likely the hamster belonged to someone who wanted to be rid of it. Obviously that's horrible.

I just thought it was cute that the hamster likes to play on the snake. The video ammused me.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM

I have to agree with Bob on the size issue, I had actually posted about it on another forum that had this same picture psoted.
Thats a Big hammy for a little snake.

Zouave, I don't belive 'most' asian cultures eat cats or dogs. I do know some Koreans do eat dog, but it's not the "pet puppies" we keep, and just like our cattle or chicken, are bred and kept for food.
Being I'm North American, it's not my culture to eat dog, so it is icky to me, But in some Indian cultures cows are sacred and they won't eat them.
It all depends on culture and what we are brought up with.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Indonesians and Malayasians do. I know that for a fact. So do Polynesians including in New Zealand.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:37 PM

FRIENDS? I think not my friends, that snake is terrified of that hamster.
And for good reason
For you see, that is no ordinary hamster, it is, *dun dun dun* A dwarf hamster, the most viscious cutie you'll ever see.
Ever had a pet dwarf? Was it cute? Was it friendly? If so, then you have a very rare dwarf, for they are usually chompers. No no, I won't tolerate people saying "nibblers" they chomp, they go for fingers and try to amputate. I attribute it to my guess that they aren't domesticated animals and inherently dislike all other animals, even other hamsters =\
So I don't believe that this hamster and snake are friends, I believe the snake fears for its own life, a very wise snake if you ask me.
And, btw, what's the difference between feeding a hamster or a mouse/rat to a snake? Hm? It's both repulsive but if you ask me, it's worse to have a rat as snake food then a hamster ¬.¬
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
I have to agree with Bob on the size issue, I had actually posted about it on another forum that had this same picture psoted.
Thats a Big hammy for a little snake.

Zouave, I don't belive 'most' asian cultures eat cats or dogs. I do know some Koreans do eat dog, but it's not the "pet puppies" we keep, and just like our cattle or chicken, are bred and kept for food.
Being I'm North American, it's not my culture to eat dog, so it is icky to me, But in some Indian cultures cows are sacred and they won't eat them.
It all depends on culture and what we are brought up with.

Chou Chous.
In China they were bred for food. So if anyone has any chou chous, then you very well COULD say that they eat the very pets you own.

Ps. I don't eat cows either =)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:57 PM

eeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
FRIENDS? I think not my friends, that snake is terrified of that hamster.
And for good reason
For you see, that is no ordinary hamster, it is, *dun dun dun* A dwarf hamster, the most viscious cutie you'll ever see.
Ever had a pet dwarf? Was it cute? Was it friendly? If so, then you have a very rare dwarf, for they are usually chompers. No no, I won't tolerate people saying "nibblers" they chomp, they go for fingers and try to amputate. I attribute it to my guess that they aren't domesticated animals and inherently dislike all other animals, even other hamsters =\
So I don't believe that this hamster and snake are friends, I believe the snake fears for its own life, a very wise snake if you ask me.
And, btw, what's the difference between feeding a hamster or a mouse/rat to a snake? Hm? It's both repulsive but if you ask me, it's worse to have a rat as snake food then a hamster ¬.¬
eeh, don't mind me, I'm just a mean 'ol Fubie >B
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
Chou Chous.
In China they were bred for food. So if anyone has any chou chous, then you very well COULD say that they eat the very pets you own.

Ps. I don't eat cows either =)
My friend from Hong Kong told me that Chou Chou actually mean's something like "to eat".
It was a while ago, so I don't remember the details, but thought it was kinda funny.

Zouave, I was unaware there were so many culters that ate dog also.

Carrot Anyone? LOL
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 PM

The Chinese DO raise dogs for food, and have an ATROCIOUS record regarding animal cruelty. Do some research.

Puppies and kittens (even hamsters) are always on the menu for Koreans, and what they do to guinea pigs in Peru would turn your stomach.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Feeding live rodents to snakes isn't a good idea. My boyfriend's brother feeds his snake live mice...and I"m sure if you guys have read my other posts, that's where my mice have come from...What happens is, the snake gets used to seeing movement in his cage, so if he sees some movement, and he's hungry he thinks it's food when it could be your hand. I told my boyfriedn's brother that, and he says, it's not going to take a finger off...I said wait 10 years and you'll regret feeding it live food...also note that his snake won't eat anything but now.

*Missy*
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:13 PM

What I don't like is snakes in general. I hate how poor defensless animals are fed live to these things everyday. I have many friends who feed their snakes live mice. I hate them for it. They say stuff like "well, snakes have to eat too". That just makes me more mad. It's not fair.

I mean, I know it happens all the time in the wild... but even then... the rodents actually have a chance to escape and save their lives. But when you feed them to a snake within a cage, there is no chance of escape! I think feeding animals to snakes is cruel. I had one friend a long time ago who would put live mice in frying pans and wait until they were burned to death, then he would feed them to his snake. I would always think "How could someone with even half a heart sit there and watch these poor defensless animals struggle for their life?" Yes. Anyways... so yeah, I just don't like snakes.

And yes, that hamster does look rather large for that snake. lol

Tags
animal control, animal cruelty, animal rescue, dwarf hamster, guinea pig, snake food, stray cats