Hamster fur loss? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hamster fur loss?

One of my hamsters is losing fur and I was wondering if it grows back? Im not sure why she is having patches of hair loss is it due to her age?

X-Mas Wishlist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

Have you checked for mites or dry skin? What about bumps or pimples with oil? What bedding do you use?

I've noticed with age that some hamster's fur thins and doesn't look quite as fluffy. But not hair loss.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Zoo Keeper

How old is your hamster? what bedding? It could be anything from allergens to mites to age. we just need more details.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well I got blue Carefresh bedding from Kmart. Moah and Shadow my pet hamsters are in the same tank. Shadow the Male hamster seems to be doing just fine. Moah is a female she's the one with patches on her lower back. I got her last March from the local Petshop so im not for sure how long they have had her. She's still very active and I have never seen her itch before but she mostly comes out at night. Another question I had was how long is a hamster supposed to stay in thier ball? (the ball that lets them run around on the Carpet)

X-Mas Wishlist

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Zoo Keeper

15-20 mins max

and hmm ... Is she living with males? I have never seen this with hamsters but it could be possible that the males are making her fur fall out.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Come to think about it she didn't start losing fur until I put them two together. At first they really hated each other too now they seem to be doing fine even sleep in the same Igloo. I really do not think its going to grow back because she's has had those patches during the start of fall. Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate the answer you gave me about the roller ball.

X-Mas Wishlist

Tags
hamster