Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

hamster has a taste for metal

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  blackflyer80 
#1 ·
hey all- i don't think my hamster wants to chew anything but metal! she chews her metal cage bars, and now, she's got it for her water bottle spout. she keeps pawing at it, trying to bring it into the cage, at first i thoght she couldn't get water b/c the water bottle wasn't stable, and i even got her a new water bottle that is more stable, but upon watching her more, she really just wants to chew on the metal spout.
i tried getting her diffrent kinds of wood chews, but she ignores them.
any thoughts?
thanks!!
liz

#2 ·
A lot of hamsters really don't like the wooden chew toys. Could there be any other reason for chewing metal? My hammy only chews the bars on her cage when she wants to get out, so it's pretty rare that she does this. She could be bored, or just likes chewing metal, lol. Two of my deceased hamsters would chew their cage every night, all night. I guess it's just a fun thing for her. She could be trying to trim her teeth down, but my thoughts would be that it would eventually stop if this was the case.

#3 ·
That's weird. My hamster (Squirt!) has never touched a wood block before, but his teeth stay pretty filed down. I think he just keeps 'em filed by eating. Anyways, she may be bored, and wants to desperately get out of her cage. I had a gerbil that would chew on plastic, and only plastic (his cage!!!:mad2:) Some hamsters will chew on their water bottle spout, too. It depends on how destructively they chew. Just make sure he doesn't chew through enough so that escape is a possibility!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.