Hamster leg is black - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Hamster leg is black

Hey I've just joined in order to discuss my poor little dwarf (Siberian) hamster. I got her out and she seemed fine but then when watching her run around the sofa I have noticed a limp. I turned her upside down in my palm and she has a black right leg.
she isn't putting any weight on it. But she lets me touch her and the leg with no complaints. I tried squeezing it and she didn't move away. Its almost as though she has no feeling in it. But she is moving like normal (quick) but its so odd to see her little foot all black, she is holding it up. At first I thought that it might be congealed with dirt but I wiped her foot with a damp cloth and nothing came off.

The thing is she has a plastic tube cage (habitrail) and i don't think anything in it is high enough to fall off and break. the only think i can think that happened is that her foot slipped through the middle of her wheel (its a plastic wheel with holes ) and she carried on running.

I was thinking about bathing it in an antiseptic for hamsters but I'm not sure whether this exists in shops or i have to get it from the vet. should i take her in for some antibiotics to prevent infection? She is too small for a splint i think!

I feel so guilty. Any suggestions would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I would get her to the vets hun just to be safe it seems very odd and if she really doesnt have any feeling in it there is obviously a problem! You should take her to the vet and see what they say she may need some meds etc xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

is it expensive to take a hamster to the vets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Being that you're in England I would have no clue how expensive it would be. Here in the US taking a hamster to the vet could be a little more because they're considered "exotics". Do you know of any vets that would see a hamster? I'm sure you would have to be VERY careful with dosing for hamsters because they're so tiny and not like a cat and dog. You would also have to be familiar with what kind of antibiotics to give them. I would do a bit of research online to get familiar with the different types of antibiotics that hamsters can take.

Being that her foot is black chances are it's already infected.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM

a small amout of polymyxinb sulfate/bacitracin zinc/neomycin sulfate is not toxic to rodents even if they liks it off and ingest it. but if the infektion is internal than it wont help.

a splint will not work for a hamster she would just pull it off. is the toenails still in? i may be wrong but if the tissue dies the toenails should fall off. with dead tissue the only thing really to do is amputate. but if its not dead antibiotiks may still work. hmm but if it was infekted it would be very painful not no feeling. haved it turn black very fast or a few days? can you post a picture of the leg? anyway good luck i hope this helps.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You may contact RSPCA or Blue Cross for advice. If you qualify, they may see you and treat your liitle hamster for a nominal fee..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

I will try to take a picture of it so you can see but thanks for all your help! you have all been so lovely and so quick to reply!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Guys you will never guess what..... I haven't been in touch because I've been busy looking after a little solider!
Speedy is fine but the leg remained black and the nails did fall off to to the vets we went. She remained there over night and came back with 3 legs to prevent the spread of infection. She is very happy and still runs around like usual, but needs to rest a bit at the moment.
the vet said that it looked as though the circulation had been cut off which is weird as there is nothing in a habitrail where this could happen. So I do think it was the wheel with the small gaps in the middle to let rubbish fall down.
She is fine now though but we have to keep an eye on her so she doesn't pick at her stitches...... she is so resilient, I can't believe how she has recovered so quickly since the op!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Rep Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyhampsters View Post
Guys you will never guess what..... I haven't been in touch because I've been busy looking after a little solider!
Speedy is fine but the leg remained black and the nails did fall off to to the vets we went. She remained there over night and came back with 3 legs to prevent the spread of infection. She is very happy and still runs around like usual, but needs to rest a bit at the moment.
the vet said that it looked as though the circulation had been cut off which is weird as there is nothing in a habitrail where this could happen. So I do think it was the wheel with the small gaps in the middle to let rubbish fall down.
She is fine now though but we have to keep an eye on her so she doesn't pick at her stitches...... she is so resilient, I can't believe how she has recovered so quickly since the op!
Im glad she is doing good good luck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM

thats good speedy is ok! now you have a 3 leg hamster, how many people can say that?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Same

My friend had the same problem what should I do a few days later the poor little thing lost its leg entirely and it can't walk I think it is gonna die plz help
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

One off my hamsters had to have it's leg amputaed, due to cotton wool wrapping round it's leg, so tight, it cut of the circulation, but even when it was cut ofand antibiotics given, it still didn't recover, so the leg had to come of. He did realy well with just three legs!

Tags
black, dwarf, leg