Hamster and other animals - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Hamster and other animals

I might go to someone's house with my hamster and that person has a dog, (ive heard that some dogs actually CAN get along with hamsters) what other animals might be able to get along with hamsters. :hugs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM

Other hamsters: Syrian hamsters with Syrians; dwarfs with dwarfs. Do not mix types of animals. I think it is very dangerous, and that especially applies to cats.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

hamster

Quote:
Originally posted by Zouave: Other hamsters: Syrian hamsters with Syrians; dwarfs with dwarfs. Do not mix types of animals. I think it is very dangerous, and that especially applies to cats.
could you keep the dwarf hamster in it's own separate cage but let the other animal sniff it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Mixing species of animals can be very dangerous. Mixing rodents with other rodents is unnaceptable. A dog that has never been exposed to small animals might attack, cats... I don't really trust them even if they have been socialized with small animals (not saying here that you can't keep rodents and cats... just saying don't let them play together, and keep cat away from rodent cage room).

In other words... no... syrian hamster, alone.... dwarf hamster, with another dwarf, if they have been propperly introduced.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Wink hamster

Ok, I'll try to keep the dog away from the hamster, by putting the cage in a safe place.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with everyone above.Do not mix rodents with different species of rodents and a dog that has never been around rodents certainly may attack or snap at the hammie.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:51 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Other hamsters: Syrian hamsters with Syrians; dwarfs with dwarfs. Do not mix types of animals. I think it is very dangerous, and that especially applies to cats.

Cats are the WORST of all possiable combinations with anytype of PRAY Animals.

Next I would say a SNAKE takes close second.
And I like Snakes...

But I wouldn't think of trying to MIX one with Birds or a Hammie or a Guinea Pig. (And I have all of them.) Prey Animals not Preditors...

They may get along for a while But sooner or later, The "NATURAL" Instinct of the Preditor will KICK IN, by a certain Movement of the Pray Animal.

And your Favorite little Warm Fuzzy becomes SOMEONES LUNCH.

And you won't be able to blame anybody but Yourself.

If I were you I wouldn't chance it for your Beloved Hammies Sake.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:08 PM

ooo daddyzoo I am so afraid of people getting my gerbils because they do give them to snakes to eat, it makes me sick just thinking about it. I can't even think about giving mine up to petshops other than my own because I know they don't. My older sons' cat we were taking care of for awhile would get into my room and sit there in front of a cage and just watch them that was eerie just watching it, she didn't long though. I got her a new home finally and never will I get a cat again as long as I have gerbils anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I had a dog that would sit in front of the cage and watch. Not once did he try to attack my cage. Now I had another dog that would go CRAZY. Of course when the dogs were in the room they were always supervised. I would NEVER leave them in there alone. When I had my "rodent room" i had to put a piece of plywood over the doorway so the dog couldn't get in (the room didn't have a door) When he was in theere, he wouldn't come out and you could actually see how stressed the chins got.

*Missy*

Tags
dwarf hamster, guinea pig, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters