hamster problem !! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation hamster problem !!

hey

my hamster is weezing and struggling to breathe when sat still he is eating normally and drinking .

whats wrong ??

my dad wont let me take him to a vet because i have had him for 1 and a half years and he says he is probably on his way out .

help !!

abbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Hello there Abbie
It sounds like your hamster has a respiratory issue. It sucks that your Dad won't let you take him to the vets, my hammy lived for 2 and a half to three years, so don't listen to him love.

Your hammy sounds like he needs some medicine, but if your Dad is persistant on not taking him to the vets, the best advice I can offer are some remedies to at least sooth your hamster.

Firstly, put him in the shower room when you are taking a shower as the condensation should help him breath. In the meantime, boil a kettle and pour the hot water into a bowl and leave it by your hammies cage, this could help.

I also know that a small, but reasonable amount of dark chocolate can help out- chocolate doesn't have the same poisonous effects on hamster as it does on dogs ect, so don't worry about that.

I'm afraid that's all I know, but I hope it helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Newborn Pup

If he's still eating and drinking then he's not on his way out babes. Animals tend to give up on any of that when they're dying. He may have a chest infection that can be sorted with anti biotics or something. Show these posts to your dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Oh yeah and as i've remembered, when my hamster had to go to the vets, we got baytril- which are antibiotics as diason81 said and here in the UK it only costs up to £25 so I think thats fairly cheap.
And a great idea to show these posts to your Dad Let us know what happens!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

God i hope that works!! NO WAY is the hammy on its way out because its over a year old, tell your dad he must go too the vets!!!
I will keep an eye on this post!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok thanks x i will try these and see what happens xx he seems to be taking the food and storing it but not eating it and i change his water every day but he dosent seem to be drinking it is he getting worse ? ive just put a bowl of warm water next to his cage and i will tell you if anything improves is it best if i keep the window open or closed ?? x thanks for your help x
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

You must get him too the vets, or he could die! Your dad isnt fair!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i know but theres nowt i could do really but ask my mum but shes working nights all next week and she asleep all day xx my uncles friend is a vet so i will arrange something with her x any more advise to make him more comfortable ??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Just make sure hes nice and snug, not near any drafts and has plenty off water near him.
For bedding, i would use something that doesnt have dust when its moved or something, not sawdust.
I hope your uncles friend can help asap!

Tags
hamster