Hamster question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Question Hamster question

I got a hamster yesterday and he seems perfectly healthy except one thing i noticed after we got home was that he kept itching and i don't know if its something that i should be worried about.

Also this is my first hamster so if anyone has any advice or tips or anything useful they would like to share i would appreciate it because i am trying to learn as much about them as possible. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:34 PM

Itching a lot or just grooming? Where did you get him? What bedding is he on now and before if you know? You should be using Aspen or a paper-based bedding like carefresh or yesterday's news. Pine and Cedar can cause allergic reactions as well as serious respiratory problems over time.

Mites are also a possibility. It's gonna take a vet to cure mites- three weekly doses of Ivermectin (or Ivermec). Don't let the vet do scrapings- just ask for the meds- scrapings are painful, an extra expense, and half the time inconclusive. Ivermectin is very safe.

If it's not the bedding, then you'd want to look into the mites. If it is the bedding, it might take a week or so after changing to the right stuff for him to stop itching.

You are welcome to visit my website- link below. The hamster information is not finished but the general stuff is all up. If you have any specific questions not covered, just ask!

Last edited by jennawing; 07-22-2006 at 04:37 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

the bedding is Kaytee soft-sorbent beddint & litter. i got him from the pet store. He was doing it yesterday but then today i haven't seen him scratch at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hey,one tip...don't wake him up in the day!You may risk getting bitten,by a grumpy hamster!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Hey,one tip...don't wake him up in the day!You may risk getting bitten,by a grumpy hamster!
Actually, as your hamster gets more used to you, they usually won't mind being woken up. Seems a little nicer to wait for them to go for food or water, though, if you really want to hold them during the day. I know I don't like being woken up! LOL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennawing
Actually, as your hamster gets more used to you, they usually won't mind being woken up. Seems a little nicer to wait for them to go for food or water, though, if you really want to hold them during the day. I know I don't like being woken up! LOL
Not in ALL cases.We had lots of hammies that were grumpy when woken in the day and they would bite.

All hams are different tho,just as all dogs,cats,rats...etc...are!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Not in ALL cases.We had lots of hammies that were grumpy when woken in the day and they would bite.

All hams are different tho,just as all dogs,cats,rats...etc...are!
Not trying to argue with you here, but any 'pet' hamster that will bite is either ill, being pestered by some child or larger pet, not tamed properly, or has come from aggressive ancestry that should never have been bred. I have raised several litters and the only hamster that ever bit me was one in a petstore.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

Riiiighhhttt...sounds like you are trying to argue,because you cannot assume that.Every hamster and every animal has their own personality and on every hamster site I have been to,it said hamster CAN bite if woken up.I know from having them before (I don't have any now and haven't in years),they were best kind...but would bite and snap if waken in the day!And they were healthy and lived out their lives.

I am done posting in this thread,as I rather not argue.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 AM

No need to argue.. I do agree that a well tamed and healthy hamster will *usually* not bite, but there ARE exceptions.. In addition to Ivermectin, alot of vets are using Revolution drops on small pets with great success after one treatment. I would ask about that as well Good luck!

Tags
pet store