Hamster Questions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
LHS

Hamster Questions!

Our hamster passed away a little bit ago. She was out first one and we were heart broken. I sent my husband yesterday to the shelter with the cages, and other misc. items to be donated. Well, he came home with SIX hamsters. I am hoping someone can help me with some questions. Our hamster was older when we adopted her and she was just happy go lucky all the time.

We have 4 teddy bear hamsters-LeRoy, Liza, Lily, and Lenny. They are of the same litter. They were born in early March. THey had the boys together and the girls together at the shelter. I went out and got new cages for everyone last night. I got the My First Home for Rats one b/c I like the ramp and shelf with no wire. The thing is I got one for everyone, but I am hestitant about seperating them. They dont seem to be fighting, but I know that most hamsters like to live alone. Should I just go ahead and do it? I am taking the whole crew to the vet on Tuesday to get checked out so I am trying to keep them together until them so I can not have to take as many carriers!

The last two hamsters are dwarf hamsters. I havent thought up good names for them yet. I am leaning towards Augustus(Auggie) and Alexander (ALex). Anyway, they do seem to fight. Auggie is bigger than Alex and he seems to domintate Alex. Right now, I have three Crittertrails hooked together to give them a ton of room. If Alex tried to get in the middle cage, Auggie runs him off and starts a fight. Sometimes Auggie comes into the one cage Alex stays in and Alex runs and hides either being the wheel or house. I am thinking that Auggie is bigger than Alex b/c he doesnt let Alex get any food. He goes to where Alex hides his food and digs it up and takes it. Should I go ahead and seperate these guys? I have ordered two Marchioro Lux 3 cages and I could put them side by side so they could see each other at least. They dont even sleep together. They stay on different sides of the cages. They each have their own wheel, bed, etc., but Auggie just comes over and takes Alex stuff all the time. Alex is also super shy and Auggie comes right up the bars of the cage to see what is going on.

That is the crazy, lovely mess that is my life! Hopefully you can give me some hamster answers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Hun i don't have a clue about any of this all i know that syrians cannot live to gether at ALL.
Try hamsterHeaven its a website with alot of experts and they should help !
x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Syrain hammies are solitary animals, they need seperate cages or there are going to be extreme injuries!
good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wowee what an ordeal! i WISH my bf would come home with animals lol. first thing, about the dwarves. maybe since you have 2 cages hooked up together for them, put one of each thing in each cage, follow? so cage one has a water, food, and wheel, and so does cage two. then if ones bullying, he really can't tell what's going on in the other cage so there will be less stealing. they should theoretically get along, but from what i hear about others' is that they do squabble a lot. i'll let someone else take this topic over

as for the syrian hammies. do you know how old they are? they tend to start getting territorial around 8-10 weeks i think. they WILL have to be separated at some point since as adults they do live solitary. i'm so glad you were able to go out and get everyone cages! this is so exciting! can't wait to see pics. do you have a link to a website showing the cages you bought? i'm so curious, i want to see!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Oh yeah and by the way, congrats on the hammies, forgot to mention lol

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I guess that whilst you were at the vet, he confirmed the hamsters' sex... You know, so many people, even the 'experts' make mistakes in sexing these little critters. It is important, or you might end up with lots of hamsters... They are prolific breeders. The Syrians, although they may look very friendly, MUST live alone. or they will fight to death... literally.. On the other hand, the dwarves can live together. They are far more sociable and enjoy each other's company. There are few problems at about 4 months, when one of them will want to assert himself. You will have to get extra food bowl,wheel, so that they don't squabble... One of them will become the Alpha hammie... but will be quite nice to his brother... this may last all their lives... However, sometimes, they fight a lot and have to be separated... But, they can alway be reintroduced at a later date.
enjoy your new hamsters. Perhaps we will see some pics soon...:-)

Tags
bear hamster, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, seperate cages, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, teddy bear hamsters