which hamster would you recommend? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

which hamster would you recommend?

im gonna be buying a new hamster...and i was wondering what people thought. should i get a dwarf or a syrian? I had a syrian for about a week..so im not too familiar with them anyway. do dwarfs eat the same type of food as a regular hamster?? just wondering the pros and cons of both hamsters. let me know guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Syrians:
-easy to tame, tamed for life
-do not like company
Dwarfs:
-very energetic
-can be agressive (it all depends on the hamster)
-can have company, but it isnt necessary

They both can eat the same type of food.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:36 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have only ever had syrians and one teddy bear...never a dwarf.The syrians seemed the friendliest.My teddy bear was a saucy thing that bit and lunged at the cage bars and everything...however my sister has a teddy bear that is pretty friendly...really I think it is all in how they are tamed.Because the teddy bear that my sister has now, came from a pet store where he wasn't being handled and when she got him, he was a biter, but she worked with him and he is now friendly and enjoys coming out.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:55 AM

maybe the teddy bears can be more relaxed but still bite you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've had both types and i prefer my Syrians as they are a lot easier to handle and less likely to bite in my experience. There are pro's and cons for each. For example Syrians can live in a cage whereas dwarves are a lot better off in a tank as they can be quite the escape artist in a cage (if the bars are wide enough for them to squeeze through). Also Syrians need slightly more attention as they are solitary whereas most dwarves are social group animals and can be kept in pairs so they don't need as much attention as they have each other. Its all about personal preference at the end of the day and which breed you prefer

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 PM

Right now I have 12 dwarfs in three groups. Every one is tame enough to be picked up from above without them reacting, and I can kiss each on the nose with no concern.

Depends on how well they were tamed, how young, and how often you handle them (preferably daily).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Syrians def. Get a black bear hamster I have one of those they are the sweetest breed of hamsters every black bear hamster I have ever seen is on the cage glass trying to get to you.

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, cage bars, pet store, teddy bear