Help me please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help me please

Ok My hampster is shedding his fur. He has black eyes and ears. and is very skinny. I give him water and food and clean his cage so i don't understand wats wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Can you see raw skin underneath? Is it shedding in patches?

If so then your hamster probably has mites a parasitic bug. If I were you I would bring him to the vet because losing fur could also be a bad sign. Is your hamster older??

If it does have mites you can usually get a dust bath or spray that can help with those little nasties. Hope it helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

yes my hampster is old 2 years now but ive had another hampster for 3 years and was normal not skinny and had all its fur. its lost all its fur from its head half way down to his gut. and yes i can see fleshy wrinkly skin underneither it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

It could also be sick from old age its hard to tell, try to get 20 posts so you can post pictures of the little guy. Hope all is well

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

ok ty so much ill post on others and take a pic as soon as i can.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good Luck **hugs**

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

I'm still looking for my link to upload pics, but he's getting more wrinkly and looks like hes getting a little wet now also his tail is bigger than normal its like twice the size.. i wish i noticed all this earlier but he just started losing fur this week
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 AM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
I'm still looking for my link to upload pics, but he's getting more wrinkly and looks like hes getting a little wet now also his tail is bigger than normal its like twice the size.. i wish i noticed all this earlier but he just started losing fur this week
Wetness.. in the tail? This could be wet tail.. which is like an extreme case of diarreah for hamsters.
Hair loss is usually not a symptom though..
Here's a site on Wet tail.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Hamsters_With_Wettail

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Ok i cant really see his tail right now he is sleeping alot anymore but what about the skinnyness and wrinkly skin and shedding??? He is old so its close to his time and I don't have anymoney to help him I feed him but he doesn't eat it really I give him water and thats about all he does is drink water and sleep
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
is a little "special"

Is your hamster eating and going to the bathroom? He could have teeth problems, a blockage, an impacted cheeck pouch, and other things if he isnt. That would explain the skinny-ness.
What type of bedding are you using? When one of my hamsters was allergic to her bedding, she started losing fur and got sores from scratching. He could have mites as the others suggested too.

You really need to take him to the vet. Is there any way that you can save up some money, or borrow some from your parents? I dont want to sound too harsh, but if you get a pet they are your responsibility, and if they are sick you need to take care of them. If you are unable to pay vet bills, please reconsider getting pets in the future.
Im about the same age as you, and I can take my pets to the vet but I have to pay for it... And I owe hundreds right now. It sucks, but I dont mind because to me it is worth it.

In the mean time, I would suggest changing his bedding to something paper-based (Like Carefresh or Yesterdays News) to see if his skin improves, incase it is an allergy. Monitor his eating and drinking, and make sure he is going to the bathroom OK.
Good luck with him, I hope he gets better!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello Earthling

In another thread I believe it was you who posted that you were using pine bedding for your hamster. The first thing I would be is get the hamster off the pine first and get him to the vet.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

my hampster is allergic to the beddign most definetaly then he has been eating but it doesn't do anything for him :/ and im still waiting on my dad to give me thje fifty bucks he ows me.........
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

You really need to switch the bedding now. Until you can buy new use toilet paper. The pine bedding is probably the whole problem. It can give them respiratory problems and lots of skin problems and allergies.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Hello Earthling

I agree with CrWoodyPets, change the bedding now its going to help your hamster a lot. In till you can get new bedding toilet paper or paper towel will do.

P.S Hamster doesn't have a 'p'

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Bedding is switched to news paper for now What can i give him for a bed though? I don't have bedding like at the store he doesnt like that