Help With My Gerbils Tail???!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Help With My Gerbils Tail???!!!!

Hello, My name is Miranda I am a pet owner of two beautiful boys, gerbil boys that is . Anyways one of my gerbils (Alex) seems to have had the tip of his tail come off. Just the tip though. I can see part of the bone and I need advice on what to do. I dont want it to get infected but I dont want to make him sick or hurt with chemicals! I noticed that while the rest of the tail skin is still attached to him it can slightly move up and down. Isint this called degloving!? I don't live anywhere near a vet though so... Please tell me what I should do? should I leave it alone or should I put some kind of thing on it? Please respond I really don't want him to be hurt! Poor baby...

URRR...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Newborn Pup

he might have gotten into a fight with his friend it is a defence thing in gerbils degus ect...u can wash it with some cooled boiled water if u like just to keep it clean but it shud heal just fine try not to worry and keep a close eye on it.....
nothin other than water though incase he injests it
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Lightbulb

Well a could be a fight but im not so sure They came from the same litter and are best friends. The only "fight" they ever have is if one of them sniffs the other in their face because they are eating something Thanks for the water advice though i might try it after getting more replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would just keep an eye on it for now. Do you happen to have a wire cage or wheel? Sometimes they can get their tails stuck.

I have to ask, though, where are you located that there's no vet? Someone on here might know of one .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question

My little angels lives in a cage made entirely out of plastic. It came with a plastic wheel but they chewed it to pieces and there were plastic orange bits everywhere. So we replaced it with a free standing metal wheel (which they chew on also) but the wireframe is big enough so their tails cant get stuck. Im drawing a blank on how he got his tail messed up The last time i handled him (which was recentely) he showed no signs of injury. Also I live in Baldwinnsville NY
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy

hello

Last edited by miranda2798; 02-04-2011 at 05:51 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe try this vet, I found it on Google and some reviews claimed that they're experienced with small animals:

Animal Ark Veterinary Hospital
2996 Belgium Road, Baldwinsville, NY 13027-2788
(315) 635-2525

Beaver Lake Animal Hospital also claims to treat "pocket pets" such as rabbits and rodents.

If those don't work, just try searching, a ton came up. Those ones just stood out to me since small animal owners in your area seem to be going there . Even if you don't need to call a vet now (since the tail probably doesn't need to be looked at unless it gets infected or won't heal), it's good to have phone numbers on hand in case of an emergency. Rodents go downhill very quickly.

Edit: If you're worried, maybe call a vet just to ask for advice? Members here aren't medical professionals, we can't diagnose your pet or offer treatment ideas.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cool

alright thanks *sigh* sometimes I get so worked up over little things like this. I think i'm going to see what he looks like in the morning and decide what to do. Really appreciate it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

I wonder how that happend!??
If the bone is on show then it is best too keep it clean.
Lets hope one off those ideas works for you!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey guys its been a while and I am happy to report that by keeping it clean and dry it has healed back to normal!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great to hear!

~Stephanie

Tags
help with my gerbils tail