Help With My New Hamster Home - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Help With My New Hamster Home

Hi there. I have 2 female russian dwarf hamsters that I have had since december last year. When my boyfriend got them for me we bought a basic cage with half an upper level and a wheel as we couldn't afford one of the fancy cages. Last week we purchased a habbitrail dwarf hamster habbitat for them so they have tubes to go up and down and get to the bedding area and water.

However when we put the hamsters in this cage they have not really ventured outside the main pod. When one did go in the tube finally to get to the water bit, she got stuck there and couldnt get out, so I had to rescue her! I'm worried now as to whether we should not have bought this kind of cage, does anyone have any help or advise as to how we can go about gettting them to use the new cage or should we get rid of it?

Thank you for your help.
Jenni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Maybe try putting their favorite treats in the top of the tubes and see if they will climb up there. Or you can put them in the nesting area and just keep a close eye on them to see if they climb down.

When I used to put my mice in this cage as a cleaner cage, they didn't really understand the tubes either. It might just take them some time to get used to it. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah..it'll take time. But the cage was designed for them, I have the same cage only for my mouse, and I put him up at the top, in the small area, so in order for him to have more room to run around, he had to go down the tubes. So you might want to take them out, and re-introduce them to it at the very top-most compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah time and patiance, they will get used too it.

Tags
dwarf hamsters, habitrail, hamster homes