Help, new mom hamster desperate to get out of cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help, new mom hamster desperate to get out of cage?

Hi guys,

My son received a hamster from my brother, she is a dwarf hamster. It turns out my brother had sexed his incorrectly, and she had been living with a male. Four days ago she had babies, out of the bluw, and we had no idea she was even pregnant. So far everything has been going ok, but today my mom says (I am at work) she keeps chewing at the bars on the front door of the cage, as if she is desperate to get out of the cage (while the babies are in the nest). My mom is asking if we should let her out of her cage a bit? We know not to touch the babies, but she has put the babies and the nest in the wheel, and hasnt been out of her cage in days, so maybe she needs to get some exercise?

But Im also afraid that she will get upset if we take her out and away from the babies, and maybe hurt them or abandon them when she gets back. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

hmmmm I really dont know what to tell you. I would think it would be ok to take her out but maybe before you do see if others who have had more experience then me say its ok. I only had 1 dwarf litter and it was an oops litter from some dwarfers I rescued and found homes for. I think I might have gotten the female out but I dont remember if I did.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It seems like I remember somewhere saying you could let the mom out in the exercise ball for a half hour or so, but no longer. I can't swear to it though. I'm thinking it was talking about when you wean the babies too.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the help guys. When I got home that day, she wasn't doing it anymore and so far she has either been with her babies or going around the cage eating or drinking, so far she seems ok. When my mom had told me she was doing that, I thought that she had stopped taking care of the babies altogether maybe, but that isn't the case.

The little ones are precious, and seem healthy and happy. I just dont know what Im going to do with them. We already had two hamster sisters that started out in one cage, but the one that is now a mom was attacking the other one constantly, so I bought another cage for the other one. But now with four babies, Im sure one of them will be a boy and I will have to either buy a third cage for boys, because I cant put the two grown up hamsters together and let them kill each other.

Im a single mom and I dont know if I can handle 3 cages, plus I already spend time each day cleaning the poo/pee for just two hamsters out the cage (they refuse to use solely the potty, they use it but pee in other places too). So im already thinking Im going to be cleaning that times 6!

But I know pet stores just dont take good care of the animals, that is just a fact, I would hate to give any of the babies to a pet store. Im not sure what to do...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I do not blame you in the least for not wanting to give the babies to a pet store, I agree with you! Do you have any friends or family that might adopt them or co-workers..people you trust to provide a good home? Trying to think of some other options. A tough one!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Playful Pup

Just so you know, how well a pet store takes care of it's animals depends on the owner and the employee. I personally work at a pet store so I know this from experience. I've spent hours in there, not even on my work time, just sexing animals, cleaning cages, getting the pets used to humans, and helping people with questions---but always doing my research first.

Have you ever used craigslist? A lot of times you can advertise pets on there, and ask for an adoption fee if you'd like, and a lot of people will respond wanting pets.

Tags
babies, dwarf hamster