HELP!!! What in the World do you do with a Hamster? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36
 
Red face HELP!!! What in the World do you do with a Hamster?

Okay, My thing is... mice. I know TONS of stuff about mice. Mice, I can deal with. Mice, my Husband can deal with.

We just lost one of our mice. It was very sad.

My youngest daughter (she's 6) just made Honor Roll for the first time. It's a big thing. I mean, we weren't sure if she was going to pass to 1st grade...and now finally, 3rd six weeks she got Honor Roll! That is HUGE!

**And to celebrate her grandma bought her a new Hamster.**

I don't know a cotton-picking thing about hamsters. The only hamster interaction I've ever had was with a friend's son's hamster, Mr. Piddles. Mr. Piddles is a BIG BOY who will bite you in a second if you aren't watching. I don't want a Mr. Piddles.

Luckily we have an extra cage that Cameron (the new hamster) can go into. In fact, I've got it set up already and she's made herself quite at home.
*Cage - check.
*"house" - check.
*Food - check - they bought some the same time the adopted Cameron (which is the one cool thing - they adopted one instead of buying one of the ones for sale.)
*"chew toy" - check...I mean that can't be that much different than mice....they gotta chew, right?

That is where the extent of my knowing about hamsters totally ceases. I don't even know what kind of hamster she is. She has beautiful, somewhat wavy, Long ehhhhh....kinda blonde hair, but it looks like it has dark "roots", a mostly white underbelly and red eyes.
She's quite adorable.

The guy at the pet store, (I went back to buy more bedding...I'd just run out) was new; I'd never seen him before. As a result I don't really trust him that much.

Have no idea how old she is.
Have no idea of breed
Have no idea of the proper diet, treats, fruits or veggies????
How big will she get?

I know NOTHING!

Will someone, Please, Please, Please help me?

Many thanks in advance,
Charlotte
charlotte is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,277
    
Sounds like she is a Syrian hamster, that means she should not have a roommate or friend. Here is an article on that ehre:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8545
This is how I went from having Mr. piddles, to a very tame hamster:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9070

I hope this information is helpful to you!
capnsweets is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,080
 
Sounds like a long-haired syrian (teddy bear) hamster. I don't know what you're using for bedding because I don't know what is typical for mice. Hamsters don't really like pine or cedar. Aspen or something like carefresh would be better.

For treats, stay away from things like lettuce, but carrots, broccoli, peppers and such are ok. Some hamsters like certain things more than others. My favorite type of food for them is Brown's Fruit Bites Banquet. It's the only thing I've found where they don't neglect half of what's in it.

She shouldn't get too big, about 6" give or take.

Chew toys are indeed good. They need to chew. Finding crunchier treats for them can help with that too. Toilet paper tubes and things like that are good toys for them.

It sounds liek you are off to a good start, I just thought I'd throw some of that out there since you said you're totally clueless.
dragonmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:57 PM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,123
 
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte
Okay, My thing is... mice. I know TONS of stuff about mice. Mice, I can deal with. Mice, my Husband can deal with. . .
Then please go to the Mice forum and answer the question I raised a little while ago in a thread I started. it is a major dilemma for me.

As for Syrian hamsters, click on THIS LINK for hamster care info
Zouave is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:15 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 50
 
Red Cedar Wood Is good for mice Hamsters And Ginny Pigs i have alwasy used it and has a nice sweet small in it dosent make teh Cage smell even when its time to clean the cage and usall it wil say in a Big bag or Medium fruits veggies diet Food like Grains for Hamsters Mice Ginny Pigs all types and can be bought at food Store Pet store when we Had Pretty sammy thats what i got her She was a Russian Dwarf Hamster in when i first had her given to me i didnt know what type Dwaft Hamster she was so i looked things up on Line in went in read in for in Books on Hammsters in teh Library in it helped a Lot in when i read the Books in Looked things up on line i found sites in learned what i could feed her She Loved Apples so do i i always shared some my Apple with her she ate it up but some Dwarf hamster must becareful what ya feed them no sweet things as they are Prone To Diabities due to their Round little bodies, i coudl never get Another but i dont know when i am Thinking of getting a Chin Chilla and any one that had or has one or Breed any any Info about them Would be Helpful thank u in hope this has helped you a little Charlotte.
SammyDwarfham is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyDwarfham
Red Cedar Wood Is good for mice Hamsters And Ginny Pigs i have alwasy used it and has a nice sweet small in it dosent make teh Cage smell even when its time to clean the cage
Cedar Bedding is known to cause liver problems and can be quite deadly to small animals, reptiles, birds, etc. And I've even heard it's bad for humans. It's also usually dusty which causes respitory problems.

I assume that's what you mean, I didn't quite understand all of what you said.

Good luck, Charlotte . I think everyone covered the basics.




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36
 
Wow. This is a lot of Great information. I use Carefresh bedding for my mice, so that is what I put in with Cameron, too. So far so good. From the sounds of it, with a few exceptions, it sounds like mice and hamster care are pretty much the same. My Meese (tm) don't really care for ANY fresh vegetables, and only the occasional teensy bit of fresh banana. Once Cameron is settled in a little bit more I'll add some carrot or something and see how things go.
The little guy seems pretty stable. Hasn't tried to bite or anything, we've let it run all over us and so far so good. It was an adoptee, so I guess it's already been socialized a little more than the typical pet store hamster. Which is great, considering it is technically the pet of a 6 year old.
Oh...I do have a question about food. What food do you prefer? Do hamsters require a high protein food? The grandma brought home Vita-vittles Gold...is that a good food? It seems to have alot of seed in it. What about hay/grass? Preferable, not preferable?

Thank you again everyone for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it VERY much.

Charlotte
charlotte is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte
Wow. This is a lot of Great information. I use Carefresh bedding for my mice, so that is what I put in with Cameron, too. So far so good. From the sounds of it, with a few exceptions, it sounds like mice and hamster care are pretty much the same. My Meese (tm) don't really care for ANY fresh vegetables, and only the occasional teensy bit of fresh banana. Once Cameron is settled in a little bit more I'll add some carrot or something and see how things go.
The little guy seems pretty stable. Hasn't tried to bite or anything, we've let it run all over us and so far so good. It was an adoptee, so I guess it's already been socialized a little more than the typical pet store hamster. Which is great, considering it is technically the pet of a 6 year old.
Oh...I do have a question about food. What food do you prefer? Do hamsters require a high protein food? The grandma brought home Vita-vittles Gold...is that a good food? It seems to have alot of seed in it. What about hay/grass? Preferable, not preferable?

Thank you again everyone for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it VERY much.

Charlotte
I'm not sure what's in that food, but yes, they need protein in their diet because in the wild they sometimes eat insects. A great food is Harry Hamster, which I've seen at PetCo. I fed that mixed with L&M Bounty Buffet. Before Harry Hamster was avilable here I supplemented with chicken, dog biscuits, and mealworms. I still did even after switching food, but not as much.

Timothy hay is a good thing to have in the cage. They'll nibble on it which is nice but it's really good for nesting.

Glad to hear the hamster is doing well .




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 50
 
Where did you hear this? EnLighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Cedar Bedding is known to cause liver problems and can be quite deadly to small animals, reptiles, birds, etc. And I've even heard it's bad for humans. It's also usually dusty which causes respitory problems.

I assume that's what you mean, I didn't quite understand all of what you said.

Good luck, Charlotte . I think everyone covered the basics.
And where did u Hear this it doesnt Bother em in let me Ask u this did u hear it on the News in How long dose it take to Effect a Animal or human i have Always used it its never cause any thing like that to happen to them or me, Explain if its so Deadly Why is it in Stores for ones to By and i would Never put any Animal or my Self in that Kind of Harm, You Heard of Diamond Dog food it was on the News that it Killed ones dogs this was on the News i cant stand people that put **** out thats goingto do that in if theres no Warnings on the Product like a Warning Lable on the back the Ingreeinces. i dont Just go out in Buy Any thing for my Animal cause i would be very Pissed if some thing like did that Per say the Dimond Dog Food. Enlighten Me im Listing all Ears.
SammyDwarfham is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 50
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte
Wow. This is a lot of Great information. I use Carefresh bedding for my mice, so that is what I put in with Cameron, too. So far so good. From the sounds of it, with a few exceptions, it sounds like mice and hamster care are pretty much the same. My Meese (tm) don't really care for ANY fresh vegetables, and only the occasional teensy bit of fresh banana. Once Cameron is settled in a little bit more I'll add some carrot or something and see how things go.
The little guy seems pretty stable. Hasn't tried to bite or anything, we've let it run all over us and so far so good. It was an adoptee, so I guess it's already been socialized a little more than the typical pet store hamster. Which is great, considering it is technically the pet of a 6 year old.
Oh...I do have a question about food. What food do you prefer? Do hamsters require a high protein food? The grandma brought home Vita-vittles Gold...is that a good food? It seems to have alot of seed in it. What about hay/grass? Preferable, not preferable?

Thank you again everyone for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it VERY much.

Charlotte
Thats Great Charlotte what every works as long as its Healthy Sammy She didnt like Bananas i tryed that Twice when she was Alive much luck to you.
SammyDwarfham is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter
 
Scarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Age: 45
Posts: 6,574
      
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyDwarfham
And where did u Hear this it doesnt Bother em in let me Ask u this did u hear it on the News in How long dose it take to Effect a Animal or human i have Always used it its never cause any thing like that to happen to them or me, Explain if its so Deadly Why is it in Stores for ones to By and i would Never put any Animal or my Self in that Kind of Harm, You Heard of Diamond Dog food it was on the News that it Killed ones dogs this was on the News i cant stand people that put **** out thats goingto do that in if theres no Warnings on the Product like a Warning Lable on the back the Ingreeinces. i dont Just go out in Buy Any thing for my Animal cause i would be very Pissed if some thing like did that Per say the Dimond Dog Food. Enlighten Me im Listing all Ears.
Do a Google search with the phrase "Cedar chips harmful to rodents" and you will get a whole list of places that will tell you all about it, including ASPCA, vet sites, ect.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scarlette is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
Do a Google search with the phrase "Cedar chips harmful to rodents" and you will get a whole list of places that will tell you all about it, including ASPCA, vet sites, ect.
I will but still didnt Answer my Question why is for sale in Stores ? do those people their know its this Hurtful to animals in Humans?
SammyDwarfham is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter
 
Scarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Age: 45
Posts: 6,574
      
I'm sure they do. It all comes down to $$$$$.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scarlette is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 50
 
Thumbs up Thank u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
I'm sure they do. It all comes down to $$$$$.
Ok thank You for the Info in help in i will ask.
SammyDwarfham is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 366
 
I think alot of petstores don't have the knowledge as well. They also sell fluffy bedding and that is very bad too, hamsters have suffucated on it and have lost limbs.

Good luck Scarlette.
LittlePaws is offline  
Reply

Tags
carefresh bedding, chew toy, chew toys, dog biscuits, dog food, dried pine, dwarf hamster, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store, red eyes, russian dwarf hamster, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear, timothy hay


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome